Coolant Leak - Drivers Side - 15-186?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Coolant Leak - Drivers Side - 15-186?

Post by Eye Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

Hi Guys,

I noticed some loss of coolant recently but couldn't find the source. I only ever lost a little - not enough for the coolant alarm to sound. I kept the system topped up until I could find the source of the problem.

I have now found the source of the leak, as it became a bit more plentiful yesterday on the driveway. It is a pipe under the drivers seat - at a join where a wider pipe meets a thinner pipe. It appears to be leaking at the join. I cannot see any sign of a clip at the join? No jubilee clip etc? Is this the way it is supposed to be? Is it the hose that's gone or the join that's not very good?

I have looked at the diagrams and think it may be hose 15-186 but I may be wrong. I will try and figure out how to add a pic.

I have her booked in the garage next week. It was initially for a pressure check to find the source but that is no longer needed. Now will be to (hopefully) fix it!

Thanks for any advice/ input.
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Re: Coolant Leak - Drivers Side - 15-186?

Post by Eye Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:50 am

A bit more info. The leak is at a join just to the right of the drivers side dipstick (think that's the transmission fluid?)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:55 am

I'm guessing that's the pipe to the rear heater, and yep, that dip stick is for the transmission fluid.

Don't be tempted to drive it with a coolant leak. :wink:
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks mate.

Fortunately the garage is just round the corner. Will top it up and freewheel round there!

Is it the hose I mentioned? Or a different serial number? I was tempted to try and order the replacement hose before I take it in to save time?

How is it attached? Is there a clip on the inside? Or does it just slide on?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:02 pm

15-186 isnt near a dip stick its at the front passy side on the cylinder head. but 15-186 on this link is the top hose that comes out of the cylinder head.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html.

this should have a clip on it like this.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8.

some peeps put on a standard jubilee clip but these dont work for long on the bongo especially this connection, this is because this stub on the head is ally so when it gets hot it expands, when it cools it shrinks and makes the joint leak. the correct clip allows for heat expansion and contraction of the stub without crushing the rubber pipe.
yours probably had a jubilee clip on it at some point that has been repeatedly tightened because of the above until it snapped. check to see if its in the under tray rattling around.
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks NB,

Its drivers side. Not the oil dipstick, the other one (transmission fluid or auto fluid or something like that).

The hose certainly looks like it should have a clip on it but doesn't. I will have a look in the tray and see if I can see one.

If it is just that its missing a clip and not that the hose is knackered, is just fitting a new clip an option?
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Assuming it is the heater pipe they seem to rot at the brazing around the spigots or brackets and from the inside out.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html 61-2D1

If it is the coolant pipe to the rear heater they are nightmare to get out and quite expensive to replace although they are in the Bongo store if you want them..
An option is to use a couple of these if it is leaking at the Tee piece

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/b ... ual-t-15mm

Just cut out the section of pipe and install one of those with a couple of inches of heater hose either side.

https://goo.gl/photos/LEfctgWfyXehFZqg8
Old & new image

If it is at the point where the bracket is welded to the pipe then just cut that section out and bridge it with heater hose.

I took the complete pipe out ran it in heater hose. the hose sits quite nicely under the chassis rail using P clips (also available on that site)
I would suggest having the other side done at the same time as it wont be far behind that failed pipe. :(

Hell why your at it you may asw well have a rad flush and refill.
Make sure they observe the correct bleed procedure too.
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Hopefully this should be a link to the picture.

https://flic.kr/p/StFoqf

May help track down the location. It is drivers side. You can see the transmission dipstick and the hose adjacent to it (where it changes diameter) is the culprit.

Thanks again for all help.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Ok. A pictures worth a thousand words innit.
What you are showing is the feed pipe from the block to the pipe I refered to earlier. Around the outside of that pipe is protective cover, essentially its a pipe within a pipe. If you have coolant coming out between the pipe and cover it would be best to rder up another as they are shaped
The installers need to clean up the spigot from the block as it is likely corroded and pushing the spring clip apart. I wouldnt be tempted to reuse the pipe unless they are 100% happy that its OK.
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:24 pm

Thanks Bongolia

Do you happen to know which code the pipe is I need?
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:57 pm

61-213 I think on that previous lush link in my post. I think it would be a good thing if they gave those metal pipes a once over while there in there.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Not much use to the original poster's issue but maybe for the future?....I know they are supposed to go from inside to out but I gently sanded them down (as far as the eye could see and feel pipe) and then jenolite and then Hammerite then waxoyl layered over all pipes I could get to from the under side. So far seem ok and holding up. Also you can stick your hand through the bonnet and down to grease one bend in a heater pipe (you can just get to it with a couple of rubber gloves on) that can get a bit of surface rust on it. I just rub a bit of grease on that pipe every September before all the wet and salt. :D (Just like the manufacturer recommends, only joking, I have my own little weird things I do thinking it protects the Bongo)
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm

I have had another look tonight (armed with my new knowledge :P ) and it is indeed 61-213 that Bongolia mentioned.

http://bongoland.co.uk/product/hose-61-213/

I'll order one up and take it with me to the garage. Still a bit stumped as my hose seems to be in two sections (thin/fat) whereas the replacement one is a single piece?

Hey, ho. Just need to hope the garage can drain and refil the coolant. It was going to need done sooner or later #-o

Thanks all.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:48 pm

If they haven't done it before a quick Google will find 3 videos by Northern Bongolow showing how its done.

Whatever happens don't be fobbed off with, 'I've been a mechanic for 97 years, I know what I'm doing, just leave it with me...'.

Make certain they understand the bleed process. 8)
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Will do.

BTW I can see the hose in the shop but not the correct clips 99286-2200P is it listed with a different name/ code?

Thanks.

Return to “Techie Stuff”