Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Re: what is this?

Post by the1andonly » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Bulshead Andy
will be up next weekend
with a bit of luck there will be a few suggestions from here to discuss.
bullshead52
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bullshead52 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 pm

ok john hoping to get it checked out at garage if they have time not having a lot of luck with it starts up ok then about 5 mins it starts to smoke the blue & white smoke I guess we will get to the bottom of it lol see u next week sounds expensive lol
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:42 am

When does it White smoke and when do you get Blue smoke
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:48 am

It shouldn't be using water/coolant like that. Need to ascertain it's not a leak before considering the real possibility it's head related. You could even consider having the coolant system pressure tested now. I think (but wait and see what our techies say) that a crude test of pressurisation due to leaking head gasket/cracked head is to see if the top hose is rock hard when you squeeze it once the engine is running but before system gets hot and pressurises naturally.

(Diesel) Bongos don't seem to leak coolant into the oil system when head gaskets etc blow.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Have a look at the turbo too. Pop off the pipe at the turbo and see if there is any play in the shaft or signs of excessive oil build up.
bullshead52
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bullshead52 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:55 pm

teenmal wrote:When does it White smoke and when do you get Blue smoke
its blue & white smoke together about 4 or 5 mins of running gradually gets worse
bullshead52
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bullshead52 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:11 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:It shouldn't be using water/coolant like that. Need to ascertain it's not a leak before considering the real possibility it's head related. You could even consider having the coolant system pressure tested now. I think (but wait and see what our techies say) that a crude test of pressurisation due to leaking head gasket/cracked head is to see if the top hose is rock hard when you squeeze it once the engine is running but before system gets hot and pressurises naturally.

(Diesel) Bongos don't seem to leak coolant into the oil system when head gaskets etc blow.
Thank for that Mike iv got it going into a garage on Thursday as I'm retired now so cant do as much as I used to lol stripping engine isn't is a no no for me lol but thanks for ur time mike let u no what it turns out to be thanks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Hope you get a good outcome. Know what you mean about Bongo DIY - I've just retired so in theory have more time to do it. But the bones are getting older! Try and get garage to give the coolant system a thorough inspection. Rusting on metals pipes near rear heater is something to check. Also, if top hose is hard when engine off and cold and feels crunchy when you squeeze it, that indicates scale in the system with implications for clogged radiator etc which could cause engine to run hot thus increasing risk to head / head gasket.
bullshead52
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bullshead52 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Bongolia wrote:Have a look at the turbo too. Pop off the pipe at the turbo and see if there is any play in the shaft or signs of excessive oil build up.
I will bongolia I just cant understand that there is no lost of power at & start up first kick
bullshead52
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bullshead52 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:47 pm

teenmal wrote:When does it White smoke and when do you get Blue smoke
Hi teenmal it only started with the bluely white smoke after fitting new fuel filter for the second time as people was saying that maybe air was getting in on the fuel system, so that's why I fit a second one just in case it was a bad one, don't if u can throw an light on that hope to ear from u soon thanks Andy
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 pm

andy have a look at these
https://goo.gl/photos/d2SMGUwuvM2cZW487

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=73449

Have I missed a bit about losing water?
bullshead52
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bullshead52 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:25 pm

the1andonly wrote:andy have a look at these

HI John had it in at the garage they checked for the head gasket they say its ok, the water lose me think needs bleeding so doing that this week, fitted a fuel filter housing with new filter but it is still smoking losing my head now arrrrrrr lol need a good bongo machine cant find one up here do u know any? I'm getting to old for this I'm suppose to be taking easy now that retied lol speak soon john
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue May 09, 2017 4:18 pm

bullshead52 wrote:
the1andonly wrote:andy have a look at these

HI John had it in at the garage they checked for the head gasket they say its ok, the water lose me think needs bleeding so doing that this week, fitted a fuel filter housing with new filter but it is still smoking losing my head now arrrrrrr lol need a good bongo machine cant find one up here do u know any? I'm getting to old for this I'm suppose to be taking easy now that retied lol speak soon john
Did the turbo check out OK?
bullshead52
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bullshead52 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:32 pm

not checked it john don't no what I'm looking for but there is not any loss of power
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue May 09, 2017 7:47 pm

bring it to the big bongo bash at stourport in june, 300 experts will then examine it for you. :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”