Bongo cuts out and then won't start - HELP

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

McrBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Bongo cuts out and then won't start - HELP

Post by McrBongo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:27 pm

No, not sorted it yet, just read your post and seems to be similar. However, the problem on mine seems to be getting worse.

Thanks for the help so far, been away on holiday the last couple of weeks and not used it. However, pretty much tried everything and still nothing working. Only problem i've found so far is the

I am having problems finding the hole on the filler neck, there doesn't seem to be one on mine. Does anyone have an image please?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:12 am

these are the fuel pipes that go forward from the fuel tank, if you look closely at this link you will number 42-590a, click on the number on the drawing and it tells you what it is in the left margin. this is i breather/evap valve, its clipped on to the inside of the driverside chassis rail just forward of the fuel tank, pull it off the chassis with a click, then pull it off the pipe clean it out and check its blowing through ok, this vents fuel fumes into the chassis #-o #-o #-o . another inch up INSIDE the end of the pipe is another thimble valve take this out and clean it, then reassemble, this isnt shown on the drawing, but it is there.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html.

the vent at the filler cap is shown as a hose from the filler to the tank marked as Z in this drawing, see the 2 ends on the drawing, shove a welding wire or similar down the hole to the tank.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... o=.html#41
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi, I would suggest that you need to go out prepared for the fault to occur taking a mechanic with you. It does sound as though it is almost predictable that it will cut out on you & it is at that time you need to investigate the problem. If you suspect the problem is fuel starvation, a mechanic will be able to crack open fuel lines etc to check for & hopefully locate at what point the fuel is being effected etc. If not fuel then hopefully a good mechanic will be able to work through the systems to be able to find the culprit.
Best of luck tracking this one down & keep us posted.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
McrBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by McrBongo » Mon May 22, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks for all the help. Sorry I've not replied sooner but I wanted to give it a good test before I posted the results.

I've done about 500 miles now and the problem hasn't occurred, as recommended I just took the petrol cap off and this works fine.

Not sure what the problem is but this seems to be a solution so it's staying like that for now.

Thanks again for the all the help.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 22, 2017 1:53 pm

There is a vent hole in the fuel cap to allow air in as fuel is used up.

If this is blocked you will get a vacuum in the fuel system and no go juice to the engine. :wink:
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:56 pm

McrBongo wrote:Thanks for all the help. Sorry I've not replied sooner but I wanted to give it a good test before I posted the results.

I've done about 500 miles now and the problem hasn't occurred, as recommended I just took the petrol cap off and this works fine.

Not sure what the problem is but this seems to be a solution so it's staying like that for now.

Thanks again for the all the help.
Permanent solution is to clean the fuel cap because it has a one-way valve in it which clogs.
Have a look at this thread with discussions on fuel cap cleaning
If you don't find what you want try a search using something like: cleaning AND (petrol OR fuel OR diesel) AND cap
and check through the results. Unfortunately the word "cap" is ignored in the search so the results are wider than really wanted.

[Edit: Sorry Bob, didn't realise you'd just got in with the same answer!]
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
McrBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by McrBongo » Mon May 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Great, thanks. I'll check this out and get it back it on. Thanks for the help... now to solve my next Bongo issue.
McrBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by McrBongo » Mon May 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Actually... is it easier to just buy a new cap for it?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 22, 2017 3:28 pm

You can get a locking one from the Bongo Shop. :wink:
mickc
Bongonaut

Post by mickc » Mon May 29, 2017 3:19 pm

I had a similar problem last winter, classic fuel starvation. I checked all the usual stuff filter, banjo filter, filler cap etc to no avail.

Following Mike at Wheelquick's advice, I rolled back the rear carpet, removed the small hatch to access the top of the tank and removed the plate containing the fuel sender unit and the suction/return lines. The interior of the tank was spotless and muck free. There is a small plastic strainer on the end of the lift pipe and this had a lump of snotty gunge in it preventing fuel being lifted in sufficient quantity and after a wash in petrol and replacing everything the problem was cured. I can only assume that it was veg oil gone bad that caused it, I normally run 75% VO in summer, 25% in winter.

Just another of the joys of running a Bongo.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Useful tip, thanks. :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”