Electrical problem, leisure battery

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Electrical problem, leisure battery

Post by sotal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:02 pm

Last Thursday I used the blinds and they went down fine but when putting them up they struggled to go up. I thought it was strange but didn't think much of it. However today the rear tyre looked a little flat so I plugged in the 12v compressor (engine running). It came on and showed the pressure on the digital display but the motor wouldn't start. Now the radio won't even switch on either and the interior lights don't come on.

Not had chance to look at it but I take it the split charge isn't working and the leisure battery is now completely flat.

Does that sound right? I take it that if it was just the battery that was dead then the leisure circuit would work with the engine running?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Electrical problem, leisure battery

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:14 pm

Geoff's the Man, of course, but is there a switch in the system marked car/van/both or similar?

Could this have been left in the wrong possition?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:07 am

Nope, no switch.

Think it will be multimeter time when I get home tonight.

The only thing I did was to take the grill and headlight out to replace the connector for the headlight and to add an extra earth wire. Can't see that anything there would have affected it.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:09 am

You may find that it has blown one of the pair of charge fuses - one close to each battery - if so replace BOTH fuses, they are in series to protect the cables going to the SCR itself, hence its a race as to which one blows first, the one that didn't blow will however be damaged! Another possibility is simply corrosion on the connectors as they are quite exposed being in front under the bonnet and if its not been used for a while they may need a clean.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:01 pm

30 Amp fuse closest to LB had blown. Replaced fuses and is now operating correctly. Only time will tell what damage it has done to the LB (going so flat).

Two questions remain...

1. Why would it have blown?

2. I had a weird scenario as part of the fault which may indicate that I have a wire connected to the wrong circuit somewhere! When the LB was flat, if I pressed the lock button on my fob (combined alarm and CL). The the alarm would activate and it would chirp but the doors wouldn't lock, sometimes it would stay like this, other times the alarm would then set off about 30 seconds later. If I used the key in the drivers door then all doors would lock. Is this one just to leave alone as it works normally?!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:04 pm

A 30Amp rated charge circuit is rather low! Mine will happily sink 40Amps when the battery is low and it's this that normally caused the problem, also revving the engine rapidly after starting won't help matters.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:15 am

Maybe it is the revving in the cold weather that has done it as I have to blip the throttle as I think I'm down a glow plug or two.

It handled the 30amp circuit charging the flat leisure battery.

I'll leave it as it is for now in case the wiring isn't rated to handle more than 30amps. It's lasted 2 years without blowing. It would just be nice to have a warning that it was no longer charging rather than finding out when the LB is completely dead!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:36 am

sotal wrote:I'll leave it as it is for now in case the wiring isn't rated to handle more than 30amps. It's lasted 2 years without blowing. It would just be nice to have a warning that it was no longer charging rather than finding out when the LB is completely dead!
I had this problem with my original 30amp rated VSR. I then fitted a willinton kit rated at (i think) 60amps and the problem never happened again. In the meantime I fitted a voltmeter that monitors LB voltage. It allows me also to see the resting voltage jump up after engine start and the VSR kicks in (and so would also spot an LB charge failure). As Geoff says, an LB can draw more than 30amps when the VSR allows it to draw charge. Do you know what your VSR is rated at - if inadequate it could be feeling the effect of overwork and could start failing to work properly.

You shouldn't be having to rev a cold diesel engine to get it running properly - it's not good for a cold engine and i found, when i had a duff plug, it often made it smoke and run rougher. I'd get it sorted ASAP. I think inadequate starter battery performance can contribute to this by not lighting up the glow plugs well enough. Could all these things possibly be linked?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:45 am

SB seems very strong and the engine kicks in easily. However once started in cold weather it sounds like it is running on 3 (or maybe 2) cylinders and kicks out lots of smoke. If I leave it, it will continue to smoke for quite a while, if I blip the throttle a little then the other cylinders seem to start firing properly and it all runs smoothly and the smoke stops.

In warmer weather it doesn't do it.

I don't rev it a lot it just needs a little to get everything smooth.

Got a bit of time over the Easter break to try and get everything sorted before our camping season starts!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:58 am

With the current unwelcome attention diesels are getting (or anyway) I'd be concerned about neighbours if it's belching out smoke. And it does sound like your VSR system needs uprating. So Easter could be an opportunity to address those issues. Good luck and keep us posted.
TheNewRooster
Junior Bongonaut

Post by TheNewRooster » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Upgrading the VSR system will cure 99% of blowing fuses.
As people use the LB the voltage drops and it receives a high current push when the engine starts. This usually exceeds the amperage of the cheap caravan charging kits that people fit to campers.
These caravan kits are only designed for irregular use, ie a couple of times a year when going on holiday or returning home with the caravan. Campers are continuously charging the LB so a more substantial heavier duty kit is advised.
I'm Back.... A little older, wiser and a lot calmer.

Return to “Techie Stuff”