Change transmission fluid

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jonnyred
Bongonaut

Re: Change transmission fluid

Post by jonnyred » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Just been topping up the steering fluid this morning, and noticed (not sure why i have not noticed before) that there appear to be bolts missing from the engine ? Surely this cant be a good thing. Trying to post a pic but how ever small i make the image says its too big.
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, in midi side conversion 2002 LPG V6, solar panel
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:10 pm

jonnyred wrote:Just been topping up the steering fluid this morning, and noticed (not sure why i have not noticed before) that there appear to be bolts missing from the engine ? Surely this cant be a good thing. Trying to post a pic but how ever small i make the image says its too big.
Picture posting on BF is mysterious art. On the advice of Mike on here I opened a google photos account (its free) and if you take pics with your phone providing you have a gmail account ( another mystery) they will be automatically uploaded. Then from your PC you can select the image or images,click the share button and select copy link now go back to your post and paste it. Anyone will now be able to view that image by simply clicking on that hyperlink.Sounds a bit of a pain but really quite straight forward. Good luck.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:23 pm

There is a row of four bolt holes along the top of the side of the engine which are unused on mine
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:09 pm

I will try again with the pics tomorrow thanks for the advice
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, in midi side conversion 2002 LPG V6, solar panel
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:04 pm

Still no joy with the pics, guess i will figure it out in the end
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm

So hoping this works, here are a couple of links to each side of the engine bay

https://goo.gl/photos/Wpnbnphi7Bq1s7iz8

https://goo.gl/photos/VbfPozRLPxvz7gJk8

Not quite as good as having the image itself but better than nada. Please let me know if the links are working
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:08 pm

I'd also love to know the correct brand/ type of ATF fluid , part no /supplier for the pan gasket and weather the sump pan with the drain plug will fit instead of the plugless sump pan that I have on my '95 2.5TD ? If so ,can these be sourced new as used items could be distorted .
Many thanks
Brian
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Dexron 111. Atf fluid
Loads reuse the sump gasket maybe a bit of gasket seal
Think the club shop sells the filters and gaskets
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Alacrity
Tribal Elder

Post by Alacrity » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Just a quick point referring to cmm303 post. If you do use a cork/rubber gasket DO NOT oil it when fitting, this only encourages it to 'squidge out' as you tighten the bolts. They must always be fitting with everything bone dry.
35+ years working with autogearboxes - all day every day......for my sins
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:04 pm

thanks for all the advice Alacrity. I did email a site yesterday to see if i need the metal gasket over the cork one, apologies if i should not be posting about other parts suppliers on here. i sent my chassis number but no response as yet.

http://mazdabongo.com/catalog/mazda-bon ... ternative/
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:42 pm

jonnyred wrote:Still no joy with the pics, guess i will figure it out in the end
Advice here. You don't have to use photobucket. The keys to displaying inline pics are a) the size of the stored pic is not too large; b)the pic has public access rights; and c) correct use of IMG and URL tags.

Apologies for posting off topic.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:56 pm

tried all sorts to get a pic direct in, small megapixels, meet the requirement for size in the guides wont have any of a link, at least a link can be seen.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: ...
Always warm engine before use to thin oil/ATF so it is easier to suck up.

Probably stating the bleeding obvious but when cmm303 refers to oil in his post i assume he is referring to automatic transmission fluid - i always worry in case someone ends up using engine oil to wipe around gasket faces etc. Similarly, I'm not sure what solvent is best/safe to use for cleaning the filter mesh.
I think the vehicle needs to be driven to warm the ATF.
Fair point with the bleeding obvious, i was defo referring to ATF although now realise from Alacrity's advice that I made the job harder for myself by wiping the mating surfaces.
I cleaned the filter, sump and magnet with a washable degreaser. After thoroughly rinsing the degreaser out of the filter I dried it in a cool oven.
Chris with BertieB
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:10 pm

jonnyred wrote:tried all sorts to get a pic direct in, small megapixels, meet the requirement for size in the guides wont have any of a link, at least a link can be seen.
There will be others feeling your pain! When you are bored you could read through this thread which held a few users hands whilst they played with posting pics
Chris with BertieB
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:15 am

jonnyred wrote:tried all sorts to get a pic direct in, small megapixels, meet the requirement for size in the guides wont have any of a link, at least a link can be seen.
Yes I had exactly that problem with image posting. I wonder if its a browser thing ?
I have other forums on different sites and never have a problem with uploading images , mainly they are drag and drop any re sizing is done by the site server.

Return to “Techie Stuff”