Tailgate bulb replacement

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BTS
Junior Bongonaut

Tailgate bulb replacement

Post by BTS » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi oh knowledgeable ones, how on gods green earth do I change this bulb? I have removed the door card, peeled back the plastic and can access the holder, I can turn the holder until I get a click but I can't pull the holder out from the unit... What am I missing?

TIA

Roy748
Bongolier

Re: Tailgate bulb replacement

Post by Roy748 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 pm

Hello..
You may need to remove the entire light unit to access the bulbs. If so there are 4 plastic clips (2 each side) that need to be squeezed together to allow them to be pushed up and out the back. I found sliding a 19mm spanner over the clips squeezed them together sufficiently whilst I pushed them up and out at the same time. There are also 2 philip screws that also need to be removed. One is located behind the lock selonoid which just needs un bolting and moved aside. The other is accessed via a cut out in the metal panel. 
Finally unplug the rear light connectors from the wiring loom
You should now be able to remove the light unit from the tail gate.

I removed my light unit in the hope of cleaning up the reflectors in either corner as mine had discolouration due to water incress only they are sealed units so no joy.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:30 am

BataanPete
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BataanPete » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:10 am

<.... I can turn the holder until I get a click but I can't pull the holder out from the unit... What am I missing? ... >

I used a pair of long nose pliers as my fingers are a bit too big to get in there. Turn the bulb holder about 45 degrees anti-clockwise, while putting a little bit of outward pressure and the unit should pop out. I used a screwdriver as a fulcrum so I could control the outward pressure. Gently does it!

HTh's

Regards,

Peter

Return to “Techie Stuff”