Cooling system service

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Cooling system service

Post by Bongolia » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:27 am

Merlot man wrote:Thanks for the replies .
That seems to be good news re. the vacuum system especially coming from an expert mechanic such as yourself bongolia .
As a matter of interest what size of compressor do you use in the workshop as Mike is correct , there was some talk a while back about the "strength" of the compressor maybe being a problem , I have a 50 l 3 HP 13 CFM Jefferson compressor myself , the capacity isn't great but the HP and CFM figures seem good , what do people think ?
Haydn , one of my jobs this week is to get one of your coolant alarms , a tm2 I think ,and I'll try and talk into a deal ! :)
Again thank you all
Brian
Your compressor is more than adequate for the job.
Its not so much the size of your tank its how you use it that counts. :D
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:21 am

Hi
No, your compressor may not be good enough if that figure is dispacement.
I've posted too many times regarding what a compressor does and doesn't do, but here goes....
Compressors are sold as , say, 14 CFM....that figure is DISPLACEMENT...much like the swept capacity of a vehicle's engine, but the figure you want is DELIVERY....which means what it says, and typically, for a 14 CFM compressor, you'd possibly see a fair bit less than 10 CFM delivery. This 10 CFM figure is in NO WAY sufficient to power a vacuum fill. The usual figure for a vacuum fill compressor is 12 CFM. Don't be fooled by quotes requiring less, as it's probably a Chinese misprint / misquote....You need a workshop compressor
Beware of "mi mate dahn the pub uses his lil' home compressor from Poundshop to do iz car loadsa times nuff sed"...
Try it if you must, but you'll drive around with a nice airlock, resulting in an engine build that will cost more than a workshop compressor....which is a good investment at a trifle less than a grand if you hunt around for a cheapie
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:02 am

32-50 for the main hoses.......make sure you get the TM-2/LCA combo. Jo can build it into a clock if you want.
Good luck
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 am

Only 2 sizes in stock ......18 big ones and 3 small ones......could be a case of when their gone they are gone.....
Also BMW Clocks
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:44 am

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Just looked at the Jefferson website to see if it had the Free Air Delivery (FAD) this what Helen is referring to, figure for your compressor is this yours?
http://jeffersontools.com/air_tools/cat ... tre/71/68/
You may find this information in the manual that came with your compressor.
But if your compressor is the one in the link then it is unlikely to achieve the suck. :(

The way these vacuum fillers work is air passes across the top of the vacuum tube and drags the air/coolant in the system out with it so creating the vacuum, if the free air flow produced by the compressor is to little then this wouldn't happen.
Providing that did happen then it is now down to how long it can carry on doing this before the pressure drops and/or emptying the air tank so running out of puff.

You are able to close off and hold the vacuum in the system and allow the compressor tank to refill, a bit tedious maybe.
Providing it reached the correct area shown on the gauge of the device you will have a vacuum and the system will be free of air pockets unless something in the system is closing that area to the vacuum and opening it later.
The vacuum you will achieve is dependent on a number of factors besides the compressors, I will leave that one to Helen to explain. :D
Once that is achieved and held for a period of time to prove you have no leaks (under vacuum) then the refilling is done without any need for the compressor the coolant being drawn into the system by the vacuum.

Why not check out the hire shops and see if you can rent one for the day first.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:13 pm

hello Helen and bongolia and thanks again for the continuing help.
this looks like the compressor I have
http://jeffersontools.com/air_tools/cat ... re/71/480/
its 3HP twin piston and if I remember correctly its 13CFM but only 50 l . To be honest I don't mind waiting for it to fill a few times , what do you think Helen ?
Id say Helen is correct in that its what's produced not delivered !
Ill have to investigate the local hire shops ........or could this be an opportunity for some more toys :shock: :D :D
Thanks again for all your help everyone and if you don't mind please keep it coming !
Brian
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:42 pm

It is what is delivered is what Helen is saying..
If its any help our Snip Off uses 12 CFM.
Can you contact Jefferson and ask them what the FAD is?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:54 pm

I have heard of peeps using/adapting a Pela 6000 vac pump or similar with good results, might be cheaper option to a Thumper.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks Rita for that video , I've been looking at those also , done correctly it seems to be the answer to the air locking problem !
I'll get onto the shop I bought the compressor from to see what they say but probably Jefferson are who I should talk to , thanks again bongoila failing that the local hire shop might be an option .....but I won't hold my breath :shock:
I've talked to jo today so I have so I have a tm2 and some Norma clamps winging their way to me as we speak !
Thanks Haydn
Brian
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Did the 'dad says' code work??
Also BMW Clocks
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:42 pm

haydn callow wrote:Did the 'dad says' code work??
It worked a treat :D :D :D :D
Thanks again ,she is really nice to deal with , please tell her that from me .
When it arrives I'll be sure to drop her a line
Brian
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:46 am

Hi
A pela pump won't suck the ash out of a perishing ash-tray....That's a case of "my mate dahn the pub sez"....The old adage "believe none of what you hear , and only half what you see" applies to a huge amount of what's on t'internet
"Free air delivery" is what you must look for, and no, your compressor is only a domestic type...sorry, and possibly delivering half what a vac-fill needs. They vac. fillers) work like an old scent-spray bottle, as Bongolia said, so they require a colossal amount of air as most of it's wasted....much like the hot air in the UK Parliament building....now THERE'S a place to go...LOL
Not sure that hire shops carry the larger compressors for hire?....The best bet is to buy a very large one if you think you'll use it over your lifetime...12 CFM free air delivery is the absolute minimum required, for a vac. fill, but I'd say bigger....any kit that says it needs less is fibbing....believe me I've looked at dozens
You can use your small compressor to fill the system , but you'll need to bleed it afterwards, as it won't dispose of the air-locks....Mr. Kerr's son Wayne down at the pub, who's always quoted won't cough up for a SECOND new head if you follow his advice...bleed it "Bongo old school" and know you've achieved the best result.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for the prompt reply Helen
Your advice is really helpful .
So my two choices are
1 Buy a bigger compressor (opportunity for more toys ) or
2 " Bleeding old school" , I assume you mean like the youtube videos , moving the funnel up and down ?
Am I correct in this ?
Thanks once again
Brian
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:35 am

I'm inclined to agree with Helen: might be better to bite the bullet and do a traditional bleed.

Return to “Techie Stuff”