Cooling system service

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Cooling system service

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:43 pm

rita wrote:Probably best to renew all the hoses , pipes , and clips , then relax for the next 20 YEARS. Its usually the part you don't renew that lets you down.

If you are thinking of Sale or Return most decent motor factors will honour this providing the parts have not been used, and returned in original unopened packaging if appropriate.

Good Luck.
I say this to my mechanic but he suggests two alternative outcomes:

1) Something else you didn't renew (or budget for) lets you down
2) You end up with an uneconomical to repair Bongo with lots of new parts on it.

I try to find the best line between it all, but i think a 100% sound cooling system is something fundamentally worth having if you plan to tour in a Bongo. And it should be worth something also when you sell (as long as its not a rust bucket). And we know that radiators are ready to start leaking at 15+ years, thermostats failing similarly, hoses bulging, that metal hose to rear heater corroding, so preventative maintenance is the way to go.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Ian wrote:
rita wrote:If you are thinking of Sale or Return most decent motor factors will honour this providing the parts have not been used, and returned in original unopened packaging if appropriate.
Yes, we can do this for you.
Great news, well done Sir Iain de Bongomeister =D>
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Ian wrote:
rita wrote:If you are thinking of Sale or Return most decent motor factors will honour this providing the parts have not been used, and returned in original unopened packaging if appropriate.
Yes, we can do this for you.
Thanks for getting back so quick Ian and your very generous offer! :D
To be honest I thought that the clips would be more (I probably shouldn't have said that :lol: )
The bus came with a new rad , a new pump and the two rear steel pipes to fit so no need for them !
What do people think of changing the thermo sensors , two I think , mazda or aftermarket ?
I'm in the rita camp I'm afraid , replace everything ! Idont want breaking down in the middle of france or spain and no one able the bleed the bus !
speaking of bleeding any woed of the vac/ fill idea :shock: ?
Thank you all for the great replies , what a great and helpful site
Keep them coming
Brian
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:11 pm

I'm in the Rita camp also BUT accept my mechanics thoughts over needing therapy. But for the cooling system, its an invaluable overhaul. Other key elements / parts to take are i think a spare alternator and belts and maybe a starter motor repair kit. And tools. Most other things can probably be botched and won't stop you running. There's the diesel pump i guess but apart from ensuring its not leaking i think i'd leave it alone. Change all filters though. And make sure the front window switches are working ok.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:21 pm

If you are in the "rita camp" you have nothing to worry about as you will be able to fix it yourself if you breakdown.

:lol: :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:28 pm

rita wrote:If you are in the "rita camp" you have nothing to worry about as you will be able to fix it yourself if you breakdown.

:lol: :lol:
I'll enjoy watching that. Smart motorway hard shoulder anyone? :wink:

P.S. on a serious note its a lovely thought but agreeing on what to do and being able to do it are two different things. You're lucky to have your skills.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Vacuum filling is a good way to get around air locks and stuff it can also be used to check the pipework is holding a vacuum so not letting in air, bear in mind though that it may still leak under pressure so you will need to do a visual check after its up to temperature. We use them every day without a hitch. You will need a compressor though unless there is a manual model about in which case I wouldn't know how effective those are.
As for changing sensors I would be inclined to just remove them and clean any scale off the faces unless you suspect a problem, though they are relatively cheap.
As to the sale or return thing, well thats an offer worth taking up you will then have everything to hand.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:20 pm

I seem to recall vacuum method users warning that the average (if there is such a thing) domestic compressor may not have the capacity to do the job. Anyone able to comment on that? Also, a vague warning bell about the vacuum method on Bongos not being a 100% cure for the airlock/bleed issue, but here my memory is even more vague! Again though, maybe someone could comment?
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Constant pressure clips are by far the best, they expand and contract maintaining a constant pressure on the complete stub / hose joint. Mazda clips are very good as are Norma clips. We used to stock the Norma variety but we thought they were expensive at about £3 each, looking at Ian's post that seems a decent price compared to the Mazda ones.
Ther was some time ago a big debate on this forum regarding the various types. Worth a search.
The basic problem is that the stub the hose and the clip all expand/contract at different rates, a constant pressure clip will allow for this, a standard worm type clip will not and can leak when temperatures drop or the hose gets over compressed and old.
It might be worth contacting Jo at the website below and see if she has any old stock Norma clips left and get her to do a deal. On big advantage of the Norma clips is that they can be removed/fitted without pulling the hose off the stub.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Just had a look at the website and note Jo has the Norma clamps in stock @ £3 each
About 5 years ago when I was more involved, we had a call from Maclaran, they had run out of Norma clamps, they bought my entire stock of several hundred clamps.....if thery are good enough for them???
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 pm

For details of product:- http://www.normagroup.com/norma.nsf/id/Products_EN
And see the. "TORRO' clamp
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Try this and scroll down to Torro
http://www.normagroup.com/norma.nsf/res ... RRO_en.pdf
Note the spring insert....that's the clever bit
Also BMW Clocks
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks for the replies .
That seems to be good news re. the vacuum system especially coming from an expert mechanic such as yourself bongolia .
As a matter of interest what size of compressor do you use in the workshop as Mike is correct , there was some talk a while back about the "strength" of the compressor maybe being a problem , I have a 50 l 3 HP 13 CFM Jefferson compressor myself , the capacity isn't great but the HP and CFM figures seem good , what do people think ?
Haydn , one of my jobs this week is to get one of your coolant alarms , a tm2 I think ,and I'll try and talk into a deal ! :)
Again thank you all
Brian
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Order by phone and say 'dad says'. Tm2combi is a good one
Also BMW Clocks
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Thanks for all that Haydn
I have been trying to source these for a while now with little success !
Do you know which sizes the TD bongo requires ?
I see that you have sizes 12-20 20-32. 32-50
Do you know if the 32-50 size suit the main coolant hoses ? It might save me getting the vernier out .
I will defiantly be using the dad says code :D
Reassuring to see that you recommend the tm2 as I was considering that one myself ,maybe with a bmw clock
Thank you all again
Brian

Return to “Techie Stuff”