Is this an exhaust manifold issue?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

eppiblue
Bongolier

Is this an exhaust manifold issue?

Post by eppiblue » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi

Its a whistling sound. The sound file is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/af05rmm31qs6x2r/Memo.m4a
And a longer clip here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nham9bwz8svahlj/Memo2.m4a

I'm posting this from McDonald's in the French alps. I'm away until late Oct.

It happens when under moderate to high revs in netural or drive. Some times doesn't happen but I'm noticing it a lot in the windy roads of the alps. Before now I was mostly on highways and although I noticed it sounded slightly off a few weeks back it didn't worry me as much as now.

Someone mentioned a fact sheet which I will look for now as I have no idea what I am looking for

Thanks for help
'Vincent' - 1996 P reg - Green - 2.5 TD - 4WD - Likes: Diesel, Bitumen and Snow.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Is this an exhaust manifold issue?

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi
Could be the No. 1 manifold stud...mine didn't sound quite like that, but when the engine's cold, take a look at the VERY FRONT of the exhaust manifold...if there's a hole where the bolt should be, then you need it done :roll: ....If the bolt's still there, try moving it with your fingers...if it moves, it's snapped. This SOMETIMES occurs with the last bolt on number 4, so look there as well.
It sounds like there's a slight delay on the noise sometimes, so spray some water on the fanbelts ....TAKE CARE of the moving belts and DON'T get any on / near the alternator...if it stops , then it's the belt...
My guess is the stud
If it's the stud, get it done when you get home...meantime, stuff the hole with exhaust repair putty, and see if you can protect the alternator from the exhaust heat
Have a nice holiday
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
eppiblue
Bongolier

Post by eppiblue » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks Helen. Do you mind if I email you 2 photos. I can't post them from my phone. If ok please PM me your email. Cheers!
'Vincent' - 1996 P reg - Green - 2.5 TD - 4WD - Likes: Diesel, Bitumen and Snow.
eppiblue
Bongolier

Post by eppiblue » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Cancel that I've managed to upload them to my Dropbox

Apologies for my ignorance but I'm not sure exactly which bolts I'm looking for but the squeal definitely comes from the left side of the silver shield thing.

Advice based on the pics much appreciated.

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/uusr5su1crgz6 ... 2%2019.jpg

Is this the problem?
2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctrxiiy3nvfn3 ... 3%2053.jpg
3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/osw1yih4rt3vx ... 7%2021.jpg
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:09 pm

1st and last pic shows it well. :cry: :cry: .
try reading this link.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ud#p418217
eppiblue
Bongolier

Post by eppiblue » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Is it the big hole in the middle of the last pic? I was shining a torch there to make it stand out
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:20 pm

yes.
if you remove the tin shield, 3 bolts, then all will be obvious. (soak them first,as with all working on the exhaust side, they can be hard to remove without snapping).

look at this link. the part that is missing is 9yb10-0801

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:26 pm

No.1 manifold stud problem circled in red.

Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:29 pm

thanks lorna. (wish i knew how to do arrows and circles). :lol: :lol: :wink:
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:32 pm

:lol: I open the photo in 'Paint' and click the circle button - I know my limits Ady :lol: :wink:
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
eppiblue
Bongolier

Post by eppiblue » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Great stuff thanks. How does a bold head disappear like that?

I don't fancy my chances getting this fixed in France, plus I'm on bit of a schedule. I'm thinking ill get it sorted back in uk in 6 weeks. Until then ill putty it up and pray it holds up. I think I've been hearing it for about 6 weeks and so far it seems to have been ok... [-o<
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:25 pm

the exhaust manifold warps (bends away from the engine) and snaps the stud.
some believe its the position of the turbo, this is mounted to the rear and not central along the manifold, on cool down each end cools at a different rate due to its mass, turbo timers may help, or at least not switching off when really hot, let it tick over for a while.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:27 am

Hi
You sure have the answer now!...anyhow...the exhaust won't drop off, so don't worry :lol: :lol: ...but you may want to take it a bit easy...and YES to stuffing exhaust repair everywhere to save escaping hot gas damaging anything in the vicinity. I'm sure I was driving round for ages before I got mine fixed.
Proper fix: manifold off, skim mating face of manifold to true it all up , new gasket, new stud / bolt .
Cheap fix: (if you're lucky) stud drilled out / tapped or helicoiled, and new stud / bolt done in situ.
Have a nice Holiday
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
eppiblue
Bongolier

Post by eppiblue » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks everyone, really appreciated.
eppiblue
Bongolier

Post by eppiblue » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 am

In terms of a temp heat shield for the alternator, do I need to be careful of using conductive materials, ie I have a disposable flexible aluminium cooking pan I might be able to shape and cut.

Return to “Techie Stuff”