door loom

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

helen&tony
Supreme Being

door loom

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:17 am

Hi
I've just replaced the door loom (driver's side)...All O.K. ....except the central locking....I see one wire has been by-passed, and I've traced that and joined it...BUT...no luck????
Fuse no. 4 O.K. in the cabin fusebox...can't see what's wrong?
Any ideas?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: door loom

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi
Found it....Up behind the plug for the loom, inside the A-pillar, a wire had been cut at some time, and a new wire fed by-passing the plug, in a previous owner's attempt to fix a broken wire....DOH!!!!...it doesn't take much effort to fix the loom properly!....PLUS, as this bit had shorted when I'd been hunting for the problem, i'd blown number one fuse...which apparently also serves the central locking...and someone had replaced No.1 with a 7.5 instead of 10A. fuse....oh...what a lot of fun!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Glad you got it sorted Helen.. 8)

(I was almost going to suggest looking at the CL relay..???!!! [-X :lol: :lol: )

I know what you mean about previous owner electrical bodges.. The first job i ever did on mine was replace the drivers window switch which had been butchered...Turned out to be the loom.... :roll: Actually the loom was the first job i did! :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi
Jay...
The annoying thing is, that whilst the loom is new, I still have an "add-on" bit, because the wire had been cut right up against the inboard side of the plug, and I hadn't got the facility to put a new blade in the plug.
Funny thing, though, there's another wire that's cut, and it doesn't seem to do owt...BUT, everything is so smooth, now, as I had repaired the old loom so many times, it was solid solder and heatshrink :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....those new looms in the club shop are a real boon!
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:45 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Jay...
The annoying thing is, that whilst the loom is new, I still have an "add-on" bit, because the wire had been cut right up against the inboard side of the plug, and I hadn't got the facility to put a new blade in the plug.
Funny thing, though, there's another wire that's cut, and it doesn't seem to do owt...BUT, everything is so smooth, now, as I had repaired the old loom so many times, it was solid solder and heatshrink :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....those new looms in the club shop are a real boon!
Cheers
Helen
Clever girlie getting it fixed. Agree its great that bf sells replacement looms. I think reconditioned AFT motors could be another useful line, as Bongos age. I've kept mine for experimentation when I get a round tuit.
Tidmo
Bongolier

Post by Tidmo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:00 pm

jaylee wrote:Glad you got it sorted Helen.. 8)

(I was almost going to suggest looking at the CL relay..???!!! [-X :lol: :lol: )

I know what you mean about previous owner electrical bodges.. The first job i ever did on mine was replace the drivers window switch which had been butchered...Turned out to be the loom.... :roll: Actually the loom was the first job i did! :wink:
Hey Jamie
Previous owner (dodgy mate bodges) :twisted: Bet you cant wait to get your hands on my rats nest... [-o< [-o< :D :D
Pourquoi Pas?
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:35 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Jay...
Cheers
Helen

Helen, should be easy to uncouple the multi block connector, (Using a V thin flat head screwdriver to disengage the connector housing clip from the metal bit.) remove the offending disconnected male or female side metal connection, carefully un-crimp the cut wire, bare off the wire you want connected & re crimp... You could use a little solder for security?
Tidmo wrote: Hey Jamie
Previous owner (dodgy mate bodges) :twisted: Bet you cant wait to get your hands on my rats nest... [-o< [-o< :D :D
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi
Jay
a few years ago , i would have done just that, but what would take anyone an hour takes me 4 ...I have various hassles :cry: :lol: :lol:
Anyway...the resistance in half pound of solder in the door loom is no longer present, and everything works like new!...REALLY
Mike
You're right about the roof motors...I wonder if the motors can be sourced in the modelling world...there are a fair number of electric boat motors that are small and produce a good torque....a look through the catalogues might well find summat...or commercial servo motors for actuating doors and shutters. I've been looking at a number of posts and guestimating what might cause problems in the next few years, and doing a lot of pre-emptive maintenance...it was either get a newish 4x4, or spending money on't Bongo...guess what decision!?...anyway...the roof motors crossed my mind!
Cheers
Helen
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Ah Helen I am going to do mine soon I have anew loom, any chance of piccies, would be a great help, especially with my back and it looks so blooming awkward to get at, also removing door skin piccies would be brill,lol. :D
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:03 am

Hi David
The jobs all done, so piccies are irrelevant , as it's all as you see when you get the door card off.
I have a pretty bad back in 3 areas, including some neck vertebrae that cause paralysis in my hands, plus a host of other problems, so I tend to prop the door open once I've got the door card off, and sit on a caravan step, so you might get away with that.
Instructions:
Disconnect battery.
Undo 2 black self-tappers at front of door card, and one at rear hidden under a trim button (open the cap). You will find a further self tapper in the bottom of the door pull, and another in the rear of the door opener behind the pull lever. Now pop the window switch out carefully, and pull the plug off.
Once you have the screws all pulled out, pull the bottom of the door card out and away from the door carefully, by getting a large wide flat screw-driver in and levering enough to get your fingers in, sliding your hand along towards the next push-clip....only 3 or 4 to do.
Lift the door card upwards, keeping it close to the door, which will release the top of the card from the window area. At this stage, manipulate the door release catch and surround through the hole in the door card...takes a bit of fiddling. The door card is now free.
Inside the door card is a plastic sheet which is stuck to the door with a fiendish sticky Japanese mastic...It's hard to get off, so wear old clothes and latex gloves. Pull the sheet away where necessary to gain access, and pin it back with masking tape!.
Now, sit and look at where the plugs are. You will see how many to find with the new loom. Lay the new loom on the floor, and where the loom is held together with blue sticky tape, take note, as this is cut once the loom has been threaded through the door. Make careful note as to where the loom comes through the door apertures. You will also need to take the door speaker off to reveal the plug on the back.
Now unclip the old door-seals from the front of the door area by levering off with a flat screwdriver, and pull the other one out from the front door pillar. Then....carefully pull the loom down from inside the door pillar, until you can wheedle the 2 loom plugs out of the hole with enough spare to get at the clips. Tie off the loom behind the clips, and secure them.
I cut the old loom I was replacing with a pair of side-cutters when the plugs were revealed, to make undoing easier. Same applies to the bits in the door, when you have un-clipped the retaining clips that hold the loom in place...brute force and pliers helps. When you have the old loom loose, cut the various arms off the old loom to aid getting the old loom out, and chop the old loom between the door and frame, then thread the new one through the opening, making sure that the plugs are all in the right place, and that the loom is out of the way of the window mechanism. Now cut the blue tape which temporarily holds the arms of the loom together for assembly purposes.
Next, plug the 2 big plugs into the ones you have pulled out of the door pillar, and return to the door to plug all the components back together, and screw the speaker back. Temporarily plug the window switch back on, and connect the battery, and check that everything works.
It should be that everything works O.K. and if that's so, temporarily disconnect the battery, and start checking that all plugs are securely connected, push the 2 plugs up inside the door pillar, and push the door seal home until it engages the clips, ensuring the arrows on the rubber point the right way. Same procedure on the door. Next, clip all the loom clips in place, ensuring the loom doesn't obstruct the window mechanism. Unplug the window switch, which you put on temporarily, and threat the window plug through the plastic sheet, whilst you push it back onto the sticky stuff.
Next, put the door card in place adjacent to the door, wiggling the door catch through. Hold the door card close to the door, but an inch or so above where i normally sits, and slide it down to engage the top of the card in place tightly against the window, whilst engaging the door lock popper. Then its's all doing up screws, and popping the door card clips in place.
Job done

David...if you have any doubts or queries PM me, and if you get cheap international calls, i'll give you a number...i case I haven't explained properly above.
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:27 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi David
The jobs all done, so piccies are irrelevant , as it's all as you see when you get the door card off.
I have a pretty bad back in 3 areas, including some neck vertebrae that cause paralysis in my hands, plus a host of other problems, so I tend to prop the door open once I've got the door card off, and sit on a caravan step, so you might get away with that.
Instructions:
Disconnect battery.
Undo 2 black self-tappers at front of door card, and one at rear hidden under a trim button (open the cap). You will find a further self tapper in the bottom of the door pull, and another in the rear of the door opener behind the pull lever. Now pop the window switch out carefully, and pull the plug off.
Once you have the screws all pulled out, pull the bottom of the door card out and away from the door carefully, by getting a large wide flat screw-driver in and levering enough to get your fingers in, sliding your hand along towards the next push-clip....only 3 or 4 to do.
Lift the door card upwards, keeping it close to the door, which will release the top of the card from the window area. At this stage, manipulate the door release catch and surround through the hole in the door card...takes a bit of fiddling. The door card is now free.
Inside the door card is a plastic sheet which is stuck to the door with a fiendish sticky Japanese mastic...It's hard to get off, so wear old clothes and latex gloves. Pull the sheet away where necessary to gain access, and pin it back with masking tape!.
Now, sit and look at where the plugs are. You will see how many to find with the new loom. Lay the new loom on the floor, and where the loom is held together with blue sticky tape, take note, as this is cut once the loom has been threaded through the door. Make careful note as to where the loom comes through the door apertures. You will also need to take the door speaker off to reveal the plug on the back.
Now unclip the old door-seals from the front of the door area by levering off with a flat screwdriver, and pull the other one out from the front door pillar. Then....carefully pull the loom down from inside the door pillar, until you can wheedle the 2 loom plugs out of the hole with enough spare to get at the clips. Tie off the loom behind the clips, and secure them.
I cut the old loom I was replacing with a pair of side-cutters when the plugs were revealed, to make undoing easier. Same applies to the bits in the door, when you have un-clipped the retaining clips that hold the loom in place...brute force and pliers helps. When you have the old loom loose, cut the various arms off the old loom to aid getting the old loom out, and chop the old loom between the door and frame, then thread the new one through the opening, making sure that the plugs are all in the right place, and that the loom is out of the way of the window mechanism. Now cut the blue tape which temporarily holds the arms of the loom together for assembly purposes.
Next, plug the 2 big plugs into the ones you have pulled out of the door pillar, and return to the door to plug all the components back together, and screw the speaker back. Temporarily plug the window switch back on, and connect the battery, and check that everything works.
It should be that everything works O.K. and if that's so, temporarily disconnect the battery, and start checking that all plugs are securely connected, push the 2 plugs up inside the door pillar, and push the door seal home until it engages the clips, ensuring the arrows on the rubber point the right way. Same procedure on the door. Next, clip all the loom clips in place, ensuring the loom doesn't obstruct the window mechanism. Unplug the window switch, which you put on temporarily, and threat the window plug through the plastic sheet, whilst you push it back onto the sticky stuff.
Next, put the door card in place adjacent to the door, wiggling the door catch through. Hold the door card close to the door, but an inch or so above where i normally sits, and slide it down to engage the top of the card in place tightly against the window, whilst engaging the door lock popper. Then its's all doing up screws, and popping the door card clips in place.
Job done

David...if you have any doubts or queries PM me, and if you get cheap international calls, i'll give you a number...i case I haven't explained properly above.
Cheers
Helen
There's only one way to settle this......
Factsheet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only contribution: I found a sawing action on the black goo with a sharp kitchen knife while peeling the polythene sheet away from the door, helped achieve a neat separation. 8)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi Mike
It was so hot here yesterday, that the sun melted the 'Black Slime' and the sheet kept falling off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy to do a factsheet...and with a bit more detail if it's wanted
Cheers
Helen
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:51 pm

That is great helen thanks. dont know when I will get around to it so a fact sheet would be a superb idea, not only to me but all of us,lol.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:43 am

Hi David
As the loom is now installed, could I prevail upon you to place your loom on the floor and take a piccie of it and mail it / PM it, and I'll label the bits up on it, and do a fact sheet if Ian wants it. To be fair, it's an easy job once you start, and no more difficult to do than lifting the seat and changing the fuel filter...BUT it's a tad longer in the tedium stakes, and for the "Bad Back" club, it takes us longer still with the tea-breaks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:45 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi Mike
It was so hot here yesterday, that the sun melted the 'Black Slime' and the sheet kept falling off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy to do a factsheet...and with a bit more detail if it's wanted
Cheers
Helen
What a star. I reckon that could help a lot of people, going forward. David - what about taking a pic also of the old one, showing the damaged area. Worth having it in a factsheet to illustrate why people have to act. :-)

Return to “Techie Stuff”