Help to identify different types of diesel starter motors

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Help to identify different types of diesel starter motors

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Does anyone have any details on different types of starter motors available for the diesel engine please? I seem to recall the twin-battery winter setup may have a beefier motor? These photos show 2 starters removed from similar vintage vehicles but there are a few obvious differences mechanically & in the location of the connections. Thanks in advance.

Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Help to identify different types of diesel starter motor

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:28 pm

From memory, the one on the left looks like the beefier 2.2kw (?) I had in my van when I bought it.

Notice the dimple in the solenoid/switch casing, towards the terminals at the top. That's one of the indications of it being a sealed unit and that you can't get into it to service the contacts.

There's a factsheet on the members' area (http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/member ... rmotor.pdf), which you've probably read. Information overload if you do a search on here!

I think starters some have 9 teeth and some 10, but I understand they're interchangeable. You may have to adjust the cable(s) to fit as my new starter accepted one of the cables at a different angle - not much to play with IIRC.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:51 pm

the one on the right is deffo the standard simon,if your stuck ive got one of each bongos, one with winterpack and one without,to confirm the winter pack starter, but it sounds like you have that sorted.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm actually asking on behalf of someone else who has a pile of parts from various Bongos & needs some help to work out which one is compatible with which model.

Return to “Techie Stuff”