Continental Headlights again, sorry

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Continental Headlights again, sorry

Post by dave_aber » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:41 pm

My Astra lamp conversion

These ones have a lever to convert RHD to LHD, so work in both markets. eBay specials "boy racer" market for Astra F
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
gibbo_1000
Junior Bongonaut

Post by gibbo_1000 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:11 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge on a left hand drive headlight conversion for a facelift model? I know the Astra ones fit (with jiggery-pokery) the pre facelift, but I wanted to avoid replacing the front end just for the headlights.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:54 pm

Never come across anyone that has found a suitable unit to fit in place. As the indicator is built in to the same housing the chances of finding one the correct shape are very slim. You could fit the pre-facelift indicator/side light units and perhaps find a main unit to match up to it.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:34 pm

I think it's been suggested before but could you fit stand alone units fitted to custom brackets

Eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATES-5-5-INC ... 1372736140
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:24 am

Hi
You can modify the headlamps themselves...It has been done in Russia, and apparently in Spain...What country are you living in?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:43 am

As Helen suggests, Russia might be a good place to get advice. I know Dimitri (DemonAV) has a facelift model with the same style HID headlamps that I've got in my 2002 Bongo. He also speaks good English (or at least better than my Russian :)).

You can PM him via: http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ucp. ... pose&u=611

Or look at his website: http://demonav.ru/

The Russian club site is worth a look for the pictures: http://www.mazdafriendee.ru/
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:19 pm

gibbo_1000 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge on a left hand drive headlight conversion for a facelift model? I know the Astra ones fit (with jiggery-pokery) the pre facelift, but I wanted to avoid replacing the front end just for the headlights.

Might be worth a shout.

http://www.european-headlights.eu/

http://completemotoringsolutions.es/Hea ... hange.html

PS does the side door meet with the requirements.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi
Anything is worth a try, but most places will just source the LHD variant of any given car, and as the Bongo was only made in very limited numbers specifically for the Philippine market, locating spares will be like hen's teeth...Converting the lamp is the only way, and that is done by cutting out the lamp holder in the headlamp unit, and twisting it so the lamp dips left, and re-gluing the holder to the lamp, according to the instructions I've seen on the Russian site...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:57 pm

A quick search brings up this company based in Spain but you have to take the vehicle to them: http://completemotoringsolutions.es/Hea ... hange.html

It may help if we knew which country gibbo is looking to use his Bongo in so we could have a hunt around.
gibbo_1000
Junior Bongonaut

Post by gibbo_1000 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Guys, I live in Germany! Do we know if the headlight/ indicator 'hole' is the same shape as earlier models? I doubt it is as the bar over the bumper does not extend across the whole front. I have managed to get some lefthand Astra lights ready for the conversion but now I am a little worried I may have to get a complete front end
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:00 am

I think you'll be ok as its mainly the grille that is deeper post-facelift. Under the skin, they're the same.

This is my '98 Bongo:

And the '02:

You may have to do some tweaking of the wiring and you will need some pre-facelift indicators as they are integral to your current headlights.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:26 am

Hi Gibbo
No, you won't need a whole new front end...
How much time do you have to get this conversion done?...The reason I ask, is because I have a suggestion for you....namely, get an outline pattern traced of your headlight, and pop it in the car. Also, take a template of the curve at the top and bottom of the light unit, and do as I did, and look at every car you see parked, and try your patterns on them in case something looks like it will fit. BE CAREFUL not to look to suspicious :lol: :lol: :lol: . Choose a model that is older, so you can find them in a breaker's yard!. If you find something suitable, it's just a case of making brackets to fit, and if there are gaps, tape some card in place, impregnate it with resin and paint the card, until such time as you can do the job properly come spring time.
DON'T mess with that late model grille, it's too nice...we'll find something to fit! and as sure as hell isn't frozen, we can make up some filler pieces.
First job, can you put some measurements of the grille on here, please?....I'll measure it up on mine, and see whether it will work with the Astra lights I have!...I have a few ideas in mind that might work to your advantage
Cheers
Helen
gibbo_1000
Junior Bongonaut

Post by gibbo_1000 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:06 am

We haven't actually purchased the van yet! We are collecting it in Feb half term. It is a W reg Aft with a rear 321 conversion. (According to my better half I will be changing this!!) I already have the winter wheels waiting along with the astra headlights. Once I get the van over to Germany, I will have only 45 days to register it.
gibbo_1000
Junior Bongonaut

Post by gibbo_1000 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:12 am

Simon,

Looking at the photos you've taken, I can't see if the wings are the same shape as on later models. Does anyone know if they are? If they are, at least it would just be a bumper and grill change.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:43 am

The wings are the same so if you get a pair of pre-facelift indicators you will be able to use them with the Astra headlights.

Return to “Techie Stuff”