Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Speedo conversion with mile odometer & trip

Post by maxheadroom » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Hi all,

I think I have a Top Tip.

I was in my local breakers yard as you do. Looking over a MX6 can’t remember the reg. And I thought the clock layout looks just like my Bongos, so a few screws later (careful now) I had the clock assembly out. Paid £10 for it and yes it will fit straight in the Bongo dash. The wiring is different so the will not work but if you unscrew the speedo it will fit into the Bongo assembly, giving you not only MPH but the odometer & trip also read miles. So a quick play and reset the odometer to read 51K cool hey!!

I also have a spare fuel/temp gauge and a load of spare bulbs. I don’t think I will use the rev counter as it red lines at 7000

So no more woolly speedo needle too.

Keep the faith
corblimey
Supreme Being

Post by corblimey » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:16 pm

Excellent finds.

Surely someone should be keeping a list all these parts as they are found.
clogger
Bongolier

Post by clogger » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:14 pm

top tip an half that mate

i have the mph plate on mine and find it`s about 7-10mph too fast but evens out at about 60mph

so the mx6 one are you actually running it and it works ok ??
cos i have got one an gonna mess about putting it in ,in the next few days

also acquired a central locking kit you just wire it up to the drivers side motor and bobs ya uncle(or thats the idea) watch this space
ECKY THUMP
the one true art form
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:22 pm

I had the mph plate and find the needle is a bit woolly, never found out if it was out.
Just good luck finding this out and that's why I wanted to pass it on.

keep the faith
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:48 pm

The first picture is my dash now with the 140 MPH MX6 speedo fitted and the second picture is the MX6 clocks with my old KPH speedo with the MPH face just to show they are the same casing.

it's only 4 screws to take the plastic off and 4 more to get the clocks out. Unplug the 2 plugs that go to the harness. pop off the clear plastic and then undo the 4 screws at the back and out pops the speedo. Replace it with the MX6 one and the clear glass (plastic) as the trip reset pin/knob is a little bit larger dia.

what I like most is the odometer and trip are in miles, so no more scratching my head to see how far I've gone and should easily be able to work out my miles per gallon (if I really want to know!!!)

keep the faith
Griffin
Bongolier

Post by Griffin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:15 am

Hi Maxheadroom, it's been a long while since I spent happy hours in scrap/breakers yards, I was under the impression they were mostly either closed down or at best had a 'front desk' were you asked for specifically what you want (rather than go on a rummage). I'm in South Gloucestershire, can you recommend a good breakers to go digging around in ?
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:37 pm

That's right griffin... I dont know if its the same as in "the old days" when you were welcome to have a look around to see what's in. I noticed this situation when i accompanied my son to get a second hand rear light cluster for his fiesta. I, like you, hadn't visited a scrappie for years, so i was taken aback when i was confronted with queries from an indignant oily monkey as to what i was after,who'd said i could stroll around etc, whilst looking at the screwdriver in my hand like it was a handgun.( I had just wandered in without ordering at the front desk :roll: ) I could understand them thinking a coule of spotty teenage lads could be on the rob... but i'm 36, and look ten years older! When i asked the guy if he had any "interesting" bits for my lads fiesta, he asked me to be specific and he would go and check... I wanted to have a look for myself,to check out wiring etc, so i could retro fit electric windows,central locking etc into my lads car... No chance! Apparently you have to take a shopping list nowadays,like your going to tesco or something... scrapyard browsing is, i fear, a thing of the past... :roll:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:51 pm

Great stuff. How did you reset the odometer to the correct mileage?
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:19 pm

Griffin, bigdaddycain & vanvliet

Harry Buckland is a walk in take off what you want and then pay. It’s a great place to while away a few hours. Morton Valance is much smaller but the same, you can mooch around and take it off yourself.

I reset the odometer with a little/thin screwdriver between the dials and gently turned them to my mileage. I have never done this before (honest officer, no honest) so if I can do it who else can????

http://harrybuckland.co.uk/

Morton Valance Motor Company
A38 Moreton Valance
Gloucester
Glos.
GL2 7NG

PS cost me a £10 for the set of clocks!!!!!!!!

Regards Maxheadroom

Keep the faith
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:26 pm

these are the pics I posted on jet ski jim's thread, thought they maybe helpful.

keep the faith
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:48 pm

This seems like a tip I could use too. My speedo has been playing up lately, due probably to the chip fitted to change the KMH to MPH. It has always been a bit dodgy, failing to work occasionally and causing the hold light to flash, but it was only every now and then. Recently it has been increasing in frequency, and today it did it three times! Now that's getting annoying. :evil:

Presumably, if I can get hold of an MX6 speedo all I need to do is replace mine as shown, and remove the chip. Replacing the speedo would make it easier to read too, as it wouldn't show up to 180 MPH. :o

Is the chip fitted to the back of the speedo, and how easy is it to remove? Does anyone have details?
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:09 pm

the chip is normally behind the console with about 6 wires leading to a resin block, just remove from the loom and reconnect the wires
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:43 pm

Thanks dreamwarrioruk,

All I have to do now is find a breaker that has the right speedo.

Cheers,
Colin. (Moonshine)
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:48 pm

im looking myself i think my chips on its last legs so new speedo got to be a cheaper bet.
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Hi all,
just seen a MX6 speedo on ebay sold to a bongo owner. so keep your eyes open and you never know...
Keep the Faith

Return to “Techie Stuff”