Engine check light and temp gauge

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Libster
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Engine check light and temp gauge

Post by Libster » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:30 am

mitchelln wrote:Did they check the thermostat?
I don't think so, if they did they didn't mention anything.
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Libster wrote:
So is the temp gauge behaving itself now?
Black Aero City Runner 2L petrol with full side conversion
Libster
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Libster » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:07 pm

mitchelln wrote:
Libster wrote:
I'm not sure if it was ever mis-behaving to be fair. I'm a 2005 2L petrol... stays on C or first marker most of the time, or at least until I've driven about 20 - 30 miles. It creeps up to 11 o'clock if i'm stuck in traffic and I've always found a way to move or turn off to move or switch engine off if stuck for ages (Boomtown or Bestival road blocks) - The coolant tank level doesn't drop - its fine. I've been told the problem of over heating is usually 99% for diesels, so to this point I've very cautious and on alert - reacting by turning off engine whenever possible if in mega traffic.
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Libster wrote:
mitchelln wrote:
Libster wrote: I don't think so, if they did they didn't mention anything.
I'm not sure if it was ever mis-behaving to be fair. I'm a 2005 2L petrol... stays on C or first marker most of the time, or at least until I've driven about 20 - 30 miles. It creeps up to 11 o'clock if i'm stuck in traffic and I've always found a way to move or turn off to move or switch engine off if stuck for ages (Boomtown or Bestival road blocks) - The coolant tank level doesn't drop - its fine. I've been told the problem of over heating is usually 99% for diesels, so to this point I've very cautious and on alert - reacting by turning off engine whenever possible if in mega traffic.
Hmm, doesn't sound quite right to me! The 2L has a much less complicated cooling system, but I would be worried if the temp gauge was going above half way.
Mine creeps up to just under a half after about 20 miles and then doesn't move. Even when stuck in heavy traffic (blasted M27 and A31!), but it never shifts above that point. My radiator fans kick in at 93 degrees (according to my TM4). You can't miss the pretty hefty "ping" of them kicking in and out.

Before I had the thermostat changed it would just sit at zero. When in very heavy traffic it would move up to about a quarter and then drop back down to zero when I got moving again. Basically, the thermostat was stuck open.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:28 pm

mitchelln wrote:
Libster wrote:
mitchelln wrote: So is the temp gauge behaving itself now?
Hmm, doesn't sound quite right to me! The 2L has a much less complicated cooling system, but I would be worried if the temp gauge was going above half way.
Mine creeps up to just under a half after about 20 miles and then doesn't move. Even when stuck in heavy traffic (blasted M27 and A31!), but it never shifts above that point. My radiator fans kick in at 93 degrees (according to my TM4). You can't miss the pretty hefty "ping" of them kicking in and out.

Before I had the thermostat changed it would just sit at zero. When in very heavy traffic it would move up to about a quarter and then drop back down to zero when I got moving again. Basically, the thermostat was stuck open.

Hmm, doesn't sound quite right to me! it might be worthwhile checking for end float or out of line blade etc etc.

And I agree with you re the thermostat.

Good Luck.
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:32 pm

I think the ping is the relay. Quite a few amps being switched in! The fans themselves whir round fine. They certainly shift a lot of air!

A better description perhaps would be "distinctive ping" ;)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 pm

I would also make sure that the fan cowling is secure.

Good Luck.
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:39 pm

rita wrote:I would also make sure that the fan cowling is secure.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

Return to “Techie Stuff”