Head liner Removal, V6 Tin Top Face lift. DON'T DELETE

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

windywatson
Tribal Elder

Head liner Removal, V6 Tin Top Face lift. DON'T DELETE

Post by windywatson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 am

Hi All,
Advice urgently required. Unfortunately have had a major water leak into the van via the electric sun roof. I think it's self inflicted as not sure if I actually shut it completely, and we've had a day of heavy ran. Upshot is that I have ended up with a very wet head liner. Normally water would run out via the drains within the sun roof frame which are in front right & left hand corners. However my drive is on a slope & I was parked nose end up hill, so the water was running back away from the drains. Learnt a lesson there, shall be parking it the other way round in future. And with the cold weather I'm concerned about the condensation trapped on the underside of the tin roof. So need to get liner out to dry it & the van roof out.
So my question is this, how do I remove the head liner & is there any diagrams anywhere showing how its fitted. I have a workshop manual as supplied by the club. However it doesn't show Tin top model.
Any pointers will be greatly received.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Head liner Removal, V6 Tin Top Face lift.

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:45 pm

See the link for full details http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
or just the image alone
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Head liner Removal, V6 Tin Top Face lift.

Post by Bongolia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:43 pm

Remove grab handles , pull off door/roof seals, remove seat belt upper bolts and two large plastic screws in the rear of the headliner, where the two sections of headliner meet you will find cross head screws or plugs there is no need unscrew them completely or if plugs wiggle them out with the edge of a stanley blade,just enough so the thread is pretty visible and they can be pried out (use a cutlery fork) The plastic roof/ pillar trims are secured by clips into the metal and can be a bit scary/stubborn to get out. The upper plastics slot into the lower section, see seat belt pic, you should be able wangle the headlining down without removing the plastic sections completely (pull them into the van centre) stuff a couple of bags of dehumidifier up there anyway. Take care with the headlining best as I recall its compressed board and being wet it may have a tendency to crease or worse tear.
All this applies to a AFT but I would think its much the same on yours.
Good luck.

https://goo.gl/photos/jZJWrA5BLABE6GZ16

Return to “Techie Stuff”