Brakes on all disk vehicle (only did front disks and pads)

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Brakes on all disk vehicle (only did front disks and pads)

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:23 am

If you phoned a chain brake/tyre company and you say "I want to know how much disks and pads are for a xxxxxxx ?" You are given a price and then you go in wait for the job to be done and find after the job they did the front disks and pads and did not touch the rear disks or pads. I looked at the rears in disbelief ! :shock:

Are you meant to specify you want the rear brake disks and pads done ?

I just argued with such a place, said I was not happy, felt ripped off and want the rears done now. They refused. (they would not do the rears for the price quoted) and they said unless specifically told they only do the fronts. I said I had lost trust in them now but said I expect a call today saying they will do the rears inclusive in the price I was quoted otherwise it would be the last they see of me.

Your thoughts please.

I am absolutely astounded by what I just experienced. :( I am kind of getting used to shoddy garage treatment in the U.K. it seems like the norm rather than exception. I am really disheartened by this experience. Ours and others lives depend on those brakes. I find it depressing to be treated this way.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Brakes on all disk vehicle (only did front disks and pads)

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 am

I have a dislike / distrust of garages .. BUT .. I have to say in this case I am on the side of the garage ..

Unless you had specifically asked for a price for all four wheel discs / pads and maybe rear hand brake shoes as well ..

Price alone should have given you some idea of how much they where doing .. doing the rear discs / pads would be at least the same again as the fronts .. adding handbrake shoes as well ..???????
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:10 am

I cannot remember specifically if I said "all round" I may or may not have said that, so can be honest about that cause that is how I am.

This vehicle has disks only - all round. It does not have drums on the back.

When I say "I want a price for disks and pads" being told I need to specifically ask for rear disks and pads to get them as part of the braking system of a vehicle is a controversial and misleading interpretation related to a critical safety system of a vehicle.

A garage any good would surely have asked - Do you want fronts and rear doing ? At the very least, had I not said "all round" which I may actually have. I believe they work on the basis that they thought I would not even look, like many who are not mechanically minded. I know basics so I checked.. I was gobsmacked.

£227.00 paid, 20 year old car ! That's more than the cars resale value.

I wanted my brakes doing, not 50pct of the brakes doing... that is a system, the car relies on front and rear to stop otherwise why are they there ?

It's shoddy as hell in my mind. Be warned that in this U.K. of "just enough is good enough" you need to have eyes in the back of your head because you are simply the next mug in the queue in the minds of many..... just the next sucker to be ripped off. It is sad you have to go in with the attitude you cannot trust people anymore. I went there cause I liked how they approached tyre changing previously. False sense of security and never again.

You are on your own in these matters unless people bring them up. Good luck, you will need it.

It seems when you say "I want my brakes done, disks and pads" it means I want ONLY the front disk and pads doing. Nonsensical yes, but clearly standard practice in the world of rip off garages and mechanics conning the general public into parting with money for safety critical components, nice that.

It gives the entire industry a very bad reputation.
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 am

They have discs / pads all round, BUT the back discs have drums built in .. fitted with shoes for the handbrake ..

People take there motors in for a 'full service' .. how many garages change the diff oils / brake fluid / transmission fluids etc: as a matter of routine .. maybe prudent of the customer to always ask / check what he's actually getting for his bucks ,,
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:48 am

Not really a valid analogy. Full service is not a fixed term related to a system. "Disks and pads" even without an "all round" is to be viewed in my opinion as front and rear as comprising that system.

But it's fine. If mistrust is to be the norm, so be it.

"Just enough is good enough" is the thing you should ALWAYS have in your mind with garages, eyes in the back of your head. In fact "Their main goal is ripping me off." Is what I will now have in my mind and I will act accordingly.

Untrustable until proved so will be my approach to mechanics from now on, a real shame that it is the norm.

I look forwards to the customer satisfaction phone call.
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:00 pm

Just to add...disks are £22.00 for this car and pads £25.00

It took 35mins at £65.00/hour (as if the guy is getting that)

£82.00 parts and labour and was charged £226.00 so it is not unreasonable to expected for £226.00
front and back should be included standard.

It is pure deception in my opinion.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:12 pm

If that call were to come in to our shop the obvious question that would be put to you as the caller would be "front or rears?"
I dont know if they were trying to deceive you or not, I think not, I suspect whoever took that call was a bit of a plum and has created an issue that could have been avoided. :(
Having said all that it surprises me that they didn't check the rears as normally these QF places tell you that you need four shocks and a new exhaust system too. :lol:

P.S. I wouldnt hold your breath waiting for that call. :wink:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Said my piece. Just watch them people. And if you want to know the chain to avoid PM me.
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:10 am

Perhaps a clearer request would have worked. With respect, it looks like you may be making mountains from mole-hills.

The age and value of the car is neither here nor there really, the job is what it is.

And as for the price; I was quoted over £400 to replace front discs and pads, and rear pads on my 2011 car.

Personally, I don't think you were over-charged, and now
you're back in there, demanding extra work for free? It's not only garages that get reputations; some customers do too...
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:02 pm

One thing is certain, I did not say: "I want my front disks and pads changed."

And on that criteria alone I expect my brake system to be replaced, not 50pct of it.

And in response to your quote, I know someone with a fairly high end Jag and they quoted £500.00 all round so sounds like you got quote a lot of money for fronts unless it is a very luxurious vehicle. With respect the job is not "what it is".. front disks and pads are £57.00 for the vehicle in question at the absolute max, online inc delivery. A friend who has a Ford fiesta was quoted £150.00 for parts alone for only fronts pads and disks. Labour should be the same and parts are evidently not.

I have expressed my honesty by saying I cannot 100pct recall if I said all round or not, though given I wanted front and back pads and disks I may well have done.

If garages had a better industry rep and better perceived work ethics such situations would not appear on forums. In addition due to
being a fair person I have not named the chain of garage in question.

As far as free work goes I merely wanted what I thought I was paying for and asked at the time I was given back my keys and frankly now I know the ethics of garage I was dealing I won't be going back. The reception bloke seemed immediately very nervous when I challenged why the backs had not been touched, almost shaky in fact. I sensed guilt. In the future I'll go somewhere else and dot the i's when asking for work to be done.

At the very least this post is to warn people be 100pct clear on what they are asking for and to double check that the parts/work has been replaced/done afterwards because you need to double check.

I always give people the benefit of doubt, have some trust, some faith and what happens? You get stung. No more.

I have had dealings with Bongo experts here, well spoken of on this forum. A professional, smooth and friendly transaction.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:30 am

BongoBongo123 wrote:Just to add...disks are £22.00 for this car and pads £25.00

It took 35mins at £65.00/hour (as if the guy is getting that)

£82.00 parts and labour and was charged £226.00 so it is not unreasonable to expected for £226.00
front and back should be included standard.

It is pure deception in my opinion.

If this is the cost of parts and Labour as stated on the invoice I would refer the issue to the TSO.

If this is your estimate...I would forget about.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:57 am

Best put this one down to experience. But for next time you could perhaps do with finding a decent/BF recommended local garage for your needs rather than one of the big chains as £227 for fronts only sounds a little steep (though labour rates inevitably vary around the UK with local garages). I do my own brakes and it's actually pretty straightforward (just need the right tools including for pushing the pistons gently back in before fitting new pads - i use a g clamp and a bit of wood to protect the piston against metal to metal burring) and saves cash and inconvenience whilst keeping me (and the Bongo :lol: ) off the streets.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Unfortunately itemisation for parts/labour is not stated on the invoice.

Right now the left hand side front brake is squeaking and chaffing slightly, squeak speeds up when I drive faster. As I progressed in my 85mile round trip drive yesterday the character of the squeak and chaffing changed in tone so I suspect something is wearing in. (Although I concern something is rubbing that should not be) As I drive it seems to be wearing off a little as time goes on and reducing in volume. At first the squeaking increased as I steered left (just slightly from driving straight) but now remains uniform in volume/tone driving in a straight line. By the end of the drive much quieter.

The vehicle is not pulling to one side so it seems like something is very slightly rubbing. I did jack it but of course movement was very limited in Park (FWD Auto vehicle) from what I could tell the wheel moved fine. My best estimates is it is something very slight. The side that is squeaking is ever so slightly warmer than the side that is not after jumping out and putting my hand on the allow wheel. I could hold it on indefinitely on both sides but one the squeaky side was more uncomfortable after 15 seconds or so to the point where I wanted to remove my hand a little earlier than the other side.

Not quite sure if I should go back or if this is typical after a brake change, it has been a long time since I have done disks and pads on any vehicle. I have in fact done brakes on an old car I had with no troubles but not really up for the hassle now. (and thought £230.00 all round was a great price.) I also had a friend who had done the job many times keeping a watchful/helpful eye on my job. In fact as I recall last time I did it myself as a young lad the brake wear sensor wire wore through rubbing on the disk and set a warning light off on the dash, I did wonder if something is rubbing on the disk in a similar manner since this repair causing the squeak.

Certainly 1 side is doing this and 1 is not.

Yes Mike, experience. I will dot the i's from now on.

On the upside I saved £150.00 of of my mobile/landline/boradband phone bills today. Kind of makes up for it. (I will post about that on another thread)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:58 am

That's a good result with your BB and phone saving , I have no doubt that the £150 will be welcome if you need a new Calliper or further repairs to the braking System.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:44 am

I lost my trust in big garages and national quick service places many years ago. After a number of occasions where you only got to speak to the receptionist and my specific instructions were not passed on. The last straw was when despite giving a mechanic a Bongo club fact sheet on how to do the job spring assisters were fitted to my Bongo the wrong way round causing one of them to break.

These days I use a one man and an apprentice in a back street garage run by an American mechanic from California (married to a local girl). There is not much he cannot do as he has even converted an old banger to run on electricity. These days he looks after both my Jeep Cherokee and my Fiat Ducato based motorhome and they are both running fine.

I trust my mechanic absolutely and he does not rip me off. A few weeks ago my Jeep developed a loud squeak when I pressed the clutch peddle. Thinking that my clutch was on the way out I took it round to let have a look which he did immediately. After pressing the pedals a few times he went and got a can of oil and gave all the peddles a squirt. Problem solved, damage - no charge.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585

Return to “Off Message”