Bongo insurance - making things complicated!

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

sotal
Supreme Being

Bongo insurance - making things complicated!

Post by sotal » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:01 pm

We insured the Bongo as a campervan/motorhome with C&CC as recommended on here.

It cost £189.

However they requested proof of NCD. When I contacted them to provide this it turns out that the NCD needs to be from a motorhome. Ours is from a car so they couldn't use it.

They have ended up giving me an introductory NCD of 4 years. The cost is still £189 - so it made no difference although they can't protect the NCD. Also they have requested copies of both of our driving licences.

So the only pain now is that we haven't used the NCD from the car. Potentially if we don't use this on another policy within 2 years then we lose it (currently 12 years NCD)

Is this anything to actually bother worrying about?

I guess we could swap cars every year so that our policies each only get a one year break? All extra hassle though! Especially as the policies don't end at the same time.

Did anyone else have this hassle?
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo insurance - making things complicated!

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:30 pm

Strange ..

I went with C&CC from my 1999 Eight Seater Toyota Estima to my 1998 V6 Bongo .. all done (initially) hassle free over the phone including transferring my NCB ..

They specifically asked if the Bongo was on the V5 as a Motor Caravan which it is .. and was the LPG conversion on the UK register .. which I said yes to as well ...

Only to get a registered letter a few weeks later to say the LPG conversion was not on the register and my insurance would be cancelled within a month if it was not recorded ..

The LPG converter had gone bump and not it entered it, so I had to pay for an independent inspection ..

It seems as the C&CC are quite strict on certain things as they would not insure my seven seater Toyota Alphard because it was not a camper van or on there 'approved' list ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm

I think the requirement for NCD to be from a similar vehicle type is pretty standard for all insurers. A long time back I bought a 125 Gilera Runner scooter while in between cars and assumed that as I hadn't made a claim on my car policy for X years that the NCD would be applicable but it was not.

I don't think there's an easy solution to the problem other than buying another car and paying to insure / tax / service it which will probably outweighs any savings you might make should you decide to just go back to the car. I guess you don't use to Bongo to commute to and from work as CC & C seem to exclude that as standard. Whether it could be added to the policy I'm not sure but it would probably have an impact on the premiums.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:09 pm

Simon Jones wrote:I guess you don't use to Bongo to commute to and from work as CC & C seem to exclude that as standard. Whether it could be added to the policy I'm not sure but it would probably have an impact on the premiums.
We do use it to commute, it was just an option on the form - didn't seem unusual to them. The £189 is including commuting for either me or my wife. It covers it for up to 15,000 miles per year. Fully comp and includes a load of extras like awning cover.

It seems a great price - just adds slightly to the complications!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:12 pm

That's really useful to know - thanks. I might see if I can get that added onto my policy as there can be the odd occasion where my car is in for service etc and I need alternative transport.

Return to “Insurance”