Running on veg oil & Biodiesel mix??

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Buglet
Junior Bongonaut

Running on veg oil & Biodiesel mix??

Post by Buglet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:12 am

Hi :)
This might sound like a numpty question, but when it comes to fuel all that I know is that oil doesn't belong in the ashtray and that as much of it as possible needs to stay in the ground.
I know people on here tend to say 50:50 veg:diesel with KTC being a popular fresh veg option.
My question is, is there any reason why the 'diesel'part of that equation cant't be biodiesel?

I have an outlet nearby that sells commercially made 100% biodiesel at 1.04 per litre. As far as I can tell from reading around, I can use 'proper' biodiesel exactly as I would fossil but it can be a bit harsh and the process has it's own ethical wobbles.
I have found a local place where I can currently get KTC veg oil 20l drums for 14 quid, so 70p per.
Therefore... I reckon that at 50:50 mix I could run the Bongomobile for 85p/l which sounds damn fine to me :)

I really want to try this, but my worry is that the using bio instead of fossil diesel might throw a variable in that I have no way of knowing about.
I owned and loved a Bongo for 9 years and recently had to replace it, so of course I had to buy another Bongomobile. Why I didn't first think to try this on the car I was planning on getting rid of instead of the newbie I will never know, but needless to say I want to avoid Bongocide if at all possible.
Thank you for reading :)
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Running on veg oil & Biodiesel mix??

Post by Gasy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:17 am

Won't be a problem
I would get a spare fuel filter and keep in the van
As the veg oil will clean out your tank and fuel pipes for the first couple of months
And be prepared for the smell when stuck in traffic
But for 84p a litre I'd be smiling all the way
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:07 am

It's just that now you will be running on 100% veg, just veg of different viscosity.
If the bio-diesel has exactly the same cold start characteristics as pump diesel you should have no problems in winter.
If however it has the same cold start characteristics as it's veg oil source, you may find you have to use pump diesel instead or suffer poor starting.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:24 pm

what age is yer new bongo?
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:25 pm

I presume biodiesel = fame fatty acid methyl ester?
The only thing I would consider are fuel additives commercial or 2T oil (2 stroke oil old style not synthetic)
for upper cylinder lubrication also now reduced with low sulphur fuels
check that your KTC is rapeseed. (preffered but not necessary)
I run 50/50 rapeseed summer and 200ml 2T every other tank
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:19 pm

You may well find that the fuel pumps seals do not like your veg oil and or bio diesel.....tends to harden them up.

If replaced they have been with modern ones then all should be good.

Learned that the hard way....
Buglet
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Buglet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback everybody :)
The 'new' Bongo is still pretty old (1997 vintage) which I think makes it old enough to cope?
My only real worry has been about the seals, do people reckon I'll have plenty of warning if they're going on me, or is it just going to go kaput halfway down the motorway? Is it difficult to get the fuel pump rebuilt if need be? (told you I was a numpty)
Would the T2 trick stop seal corrosion or is that a completely different set of things to worry about?
Thank ye.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Can't speak for the T2 bit but never heard of the pump seals suddenly letting go.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:23 pm

Buglet wrote:Thanks for the feedback everybody :)
The 'new' Bongo is still pretty old (1997 vintage) which I think makes it old enough to cope?
My only real worry has been about the seals, do people reckon I'll have plenty of warning if they're going on me, or is it just going to go kaput halfway down the motorway? Is it difficult to get the fuel pump rebuilt if need be? (told you I was a numpty)
Would the T2 trick stop seal corrosion or is that a completely different set of things to worry about?
Thank ye.
It most certainly isn't a numpty question. I am going through pump leaks and seals right now but its all been learnt in the last 2 weeks by necessity!

I have not heard of seals instantly getting so bad to leave you stranded. Usually they will leak and you won't even know unless you are checking around the pump and underneath. My latest leak has quite quickly resulted in slow starting (lots of cranking) but does not affect driving.

Repair costs for the "easy" seals, done with pump in situ: DIY £5 + some skin and blood. Garage £50-£100+VAT
Costs to refurb internal seals requiring pump removal: £300-£1k+VAT depending on where you get the work done and what is done
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Buglet
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Buglet » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:24 am

Repair costs for the "easy" seals, done with pump in situ: DIY £5 + some skin and blood. Garage £50-£100+VAT
Costs to refurb internal seals requiring pump removal: £300-£1k+VAT depending on where you get the work done and what is done[/quote]

:shock: Thanks for the info CMmm, and good luck with your leaks, may they always be at the fiver end of the spectrum! :wink:
Buglet
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Buglet » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:20 am

Well, just completed a 300 mile round trip to the lakes on Bio with about 40% rapeseed, driving the same as ever, no extra struggles going up hills, managing 70mph motorway without grumbling....
It's probably just a honeymoon period but everything seems kushty so far! :)

(Oh, and the 14 quid KTC was GM soya which I thought would be quite viscous, but I found 20l pure rapeseed for 15, which at 75ppl still makes a 50:50 mix work out as less than 90p, or about 13squid per full tank cheaper than current Tesco price. And very few fossils. But does anybody have any info on recycling the steel drums, are councils happy to take them? In particular, if I'm the luckiest boy in the world, does anybody know if salford council accepts them? Most things say no oil containers, but I never know if this applies to all oily substances or only certain things)
:) The numpty questions keep on coming :D
mickc
Bongonaut

Post by mickc » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:58 am

On the subject of containers, I get my KTC in 20l plastic containers from Bookers cash and carry and most go to people who will ask for them, one in particular who has a houseboat and uses them for fuel. Failing that they can be cut into pieces and go in the skip, a far better alternative than steel drums.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Buglet wrote:Well, just completed a 300 mile round trip to the lakes on Bio with about 40% rapeseed, driving the same as ever, no extra struggles going up hills, managing 70mph motorway without grumbling....
It's probably just a honeymoon period but everything seems kushty so far! :)

(Oh, and the 14 quid KTC was GM soya which I thought would be quite viscous, but I found 20l pure rapeseed for 15, which at 75ppl still makes a 50:50 mix work out as less than 90p, or about 13squid per full tank cheaper than current Tesco price. And very few fossils. But does anybody have any info on recycling the steel drums, are councils happy to take them? In particular, if I'm the luckiest boy in the world, does anybody know if salford council accepts them? Most things say no oil containers, but I never know if this applies to all oily substances or only certain things)
:) The numpty questions keep on coming :D
I've always put my veg containers plastic or metal in the normal recycling bin.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”