Frankenstein engine thoughts.....

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

rustyp
Bongolier

Frankenstein engine thoughts.....

Post by rustyp » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:32 pm

Just some rambling thoughts....

It is my understanding (bit it would need to be verified for definite) that the later diesel direct injection Ford Ranger engines use the same engine blocks as the earlier Bongo/Ranger engines. Which would mean it would bolt into a Bongo but the heads are much bigger so it wouldn't sit between the seats without a lot of engine cover shaping if indeed it actually will fit at all.

Interestingly there is also a 3-litre version of the later Ranger engine which iirc has the same bore size but longer stroke. If piston deck heights were compatible you could use the earlier pistons from the Bongo with a Bongo head to make a 3-litre Bongo diesel.

Also the RHV4 VJ38 variable geometry turbo from the later Rangers from the pictures I have seen would bolt up to a Bongo exhaust manifold. This would give a greater and broader range of power if the variable geometry system can be controlled effectively. I haven't been able to determine yet if the variable geometry actuation is by boost pressure like a wastegate or by vacuum. Need to research a bit more

I know have tracked down a normally aspirated Ranger Diesel inlet manifold which has the intake in the middle of the manifold which I believe will help create more even flow to all cylinders, I am opening the ports on the inlet manifold into the head as on all Bongo/Ranger inlet manifolds are smaller than the ones in the head so either the ports in the head made smaller (which may help torque) or as I am going to do open up the manifold for better flow. I know have some material to make a heat shield gasket to reduce heat transfer into the incoming charge.

I am mounting the inlet manifold upside down to fit and routing the boosted air from the turbo through a heat exchanger and round the back of the block to the inlet manifold.

The air filter setup I have utilises a ford ranger airbox pipe to a Pipercross Venom enclosed filter which will eventually have a cold air feed from the front of the Bongo when I remove the intercooler pipework

My head is ported any way but would like to go for a new head as I have some ideas to gain more swirl for better combustion using porting, seat and cam modifications.

Russ
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Frankenstein engine thoughts.....

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Ye Gods! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

In Part 2 we'll be looking at how to improve the handling of the Bongo....cos it's sure going to need it with all that extra power on board :lol:

But seriously - good luck and keep us posted. It sounds very interesting. In passing, later model Bongos have variable vane turbos I think?
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Or just get a petrol V6 .. and tweak that up .. ??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm

There is a 3-litre V6 version the Aussies like tuning up! Read an article about someone fitting twin turbos to the 3-litre and put it into a retro "ute"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:Or just get a petrol V6 .. and tweak that up .. ??
Boringgggggg :lol:
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:31 pm

A 3-litre petrol v6 but it didn't come in the Bongo....
skater
Bongolier

Post by skater » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:35 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:Or just get a petrol V6 .. and tweak that up .. ??
Can it be tweaked up?

I tweaked my old diesel but that had a mechanical pump that had lots of adjustment options.
" it's not rocket surgery! "
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:59 pm

I also shimmed the wastegate actuator to allow a little more boost, that helps a lot
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:05 pm

Freer flowing air intake and exhaust always helps any engine.

A petrol engine needs its fuelling with defined margins, further modifications would require remapping (as opposed to tweaking the rather archaic but purposeful diesel pump)

The was a 206bhp 3.0 DOHC version of the petrol engine only available in the 626S - happy hunting!
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:18 am

The Ford Probe/Mazda MX-6 has a more powerful version of the bongo 2.5 V6 with variable inlet manifold etc. 175bhp iirc.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:33 pm

Any engine can be made to fit anything ... but the Ford Probe /Mazda MX-6 are not in the same family of engines as the Bongo ...

The Bongo uses the Mazda 929 2.5 quad cam 24 valve V6 ...

Maybe the 929 3.0 single cam 18 valve would fit .. but that's maybe a backwards move ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:13 am

Turbos......

Been looking at Kia Sedona 2.9 IHI RHB5 turbos, little bit bigger and higher rated engine, turbo is ball bearing. Mounting flange on manifold would need opening up and compressor housing moved around (clocked) but they are very cheap £35
Isuzu Trooper et al 3.0 straight fit but compressor needs clocking, roller bearing but expensive £120+ but proven upgrade for Ranger models.
RHV4 variable geometry, ball bearing, as on latest Rangers, straight fit apart from compressor clocking but need to accurately actuate variable vanes. £150
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:17 am

Hi Mike, I was only going on what I had read which suggested that the Probe/MX6 V6 was the same base engine. I can't find much reference to the 3-litre quad cam lump.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:52 am

Dunno about a 3.0 quad cam lump .. the 929 3.0 is only a single cam 18 valve ..

To be honest .. for a narrow .. tall .. camper van with the aerodynamics of a house brick I am quite happy with my V6 as it is ..
skater
Bongolier

Post by skater » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:14 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:Dunno about a 3.0 quad cam lump .. the 929 3.0 is only a single cam 18 valve ..

To be honest .. for a narrow .. tall .. camper van with the aerodynamics of a house brick I am quite happy with my V6 as it is ..
Yes, it does move when you want it to but you need to be heading over the 4500rpm mark, which is enjoyable in its own way ( occasionally ) but for me, coming from the diesel for 7 yrs, it's not a natural rev range to explore.
I'm getting used to it though :wink:
" it's not rocket surgery! "

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”