100mph!

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Pompeysteve
Bongonaut

100mph!

Post by Pompeysteve » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:55 am

Just back from austria. On the autobahne got 100mph from my bongo!. It still had more....and I left the air con on!.It's a 2001 aero v6 petrol tin top with lowered suspension wide low profile tyres lpg conversion,I had magnacor leads and ngk lpg1 plugs new cap and arm,new gearbox and engine oil. No rear bench seat and removed my bike rack.I was so impressed with it.
The lpg was only 43 cents a litre in Belgium!!!!!!!!! Then 73 cents in Germany and non existent in austria!!!.
What a car,and a real headturner in Europe! ( mind you I expect the shiney chrome wheels help)
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Re: 100mph!

Post by Titan1995 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:14 am

Regularly get that 100mph out of my diesel.....wearing bigger wheels so possibly faster.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:25 am

| did it once just to prove I could but I think it is unsafe practice in an AFT model, should there be a need to take avoiding action and/or if there is any crosswind factor. These old girls deserve more gentle driving, but its impressive that they can do that speed if pushed. 8)
andyb36
Tribal Elder

Post by andyb36 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:12 pm

my friend owned a big American motorhome v100 26 ltr etc etc

it was a beast -- but running on lpg

we were on route returning from santa pod

on the m1 travelling north - motorway pretty empty - he decided to over take me in the middle lane

im having none of that I thought - and sped up a little

I bottled it at 90 and he crept past me

apart from - never mind the safety issue of the bongo - that great big slab did 95 plus

I don't know if there was any more left in mine - I certainly wasn't going to test it

lol - I wonder how fast the gas was being sucked up at that point

he stated he got about 15 mpg on gas at 60 lol

yep - he is mad
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:54 pm

andyb36 wrote:my friend owned a big American motorhome v100 26 ltr etc etc

it was a beast -- but running on lpg

we were on route returning from santa pod

on the m1 travelling north - motorway pretty empty - he decided to over take me in the middle lane

im having none of that I thought - and sped up a little

I bottled it at 90 and he crept past me

apart from - never mind the safety issue of the bongo - that great big slab did 95 plus

I don't know if there was any more left in mine - I certainly wasn't going to test it

lol - I wonder how fast the gas was being sucked up at that point

he stated he got about 15 mpg on gas at 60 lol

yep - he is mad
The big old Yankee slab was broader track and lower c of g than your aft I suspect, either of which would have helped it feel more planted than you. So no disgrace there ;-)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:09 am

Hi
I heartily agree with you there Mike!...
15 MPG on a big bus!!!...hell, I'd be thrilled to bits if my old Series 3 Land-Rover Safari 2.5 6 cylinder would get anywhere near that in overdrive....oh!!!! that was one of the best Series 3 LR Safaris that I've owned!
In terms of Yankee cars and low fuel consumption, one of my neighbours reckoned his Stingray did 8 MPG...I'd put up with that fuel consumption myself if I could own that very vehicle....'twas a stunner!!!!!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:49 pm

I have taken my bongo to it's limit..on a private road.lol but I am police trained and it was not fun, let me tell you, I wanted to test capabilities of the bongo against aerodynamics etc, however I will never do any speed more than 70 to 75 bongo is not safe at anything higher.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi
David...I've had all the suspension / steering, etc. replaced with new or recon, and I'd still agree with you...it's a nice drive, but not a fast one.....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”