Basic MPG stats ?

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Basic MPG stats ?

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:16 am

scanner wrote:Apparent MPG also depends on your odometer recording correctly have you checked that against the distance posts on a motorway?
It may just be that it is underreading the distance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_location_sign

10 kms = 6.213 miles
This post, and others, remind me that mpg is in part a state of mind. My Bongo's mpg started me on diy maintenance, cheap camping, buying white goods off ebay, walking to shops more, buying and doing 2000 miles of commuting by electric bike etc, all of which hugely offset fuel cost, brought me new adventures and skills etc. And then there were the times where, by sticking to no more than 60mph indicated, and mainly motorway driving, the Bongo returned 41mpg, tank brim to brim measured. 8)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:03 pm

The way I see it is that we all breathe exactly the same air, you, me, your children and your Grand children. The less illness causing chemicals we breathe the better. This fact alone should have everyone on a maintenance and efficiency drive, especially diesels and petrol. That's my take, cleaner air and more money in your wallet.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi
Taken over quite a few months , filling the tank, running it low, and repeating the cycle, I got 29- 32 average on my diesel. I always used the same filling station where possible, and used a decent brand, as fuel varies. I only ran the tests to see if the Bongo was running properly!
Coming across Europe, I found that some diesel caused very poor running, and I tended to wait until I found a Shell station, and in Eastern Europe, Lukoil is pretty good. As I haven't bothered to check for a few years, all I'd say is that as I enjoy the Bongo, I think it costs what it costs, and if it gets too pricey, I'll cut down on the useage. Comfort, and enjoyment can't really be measured.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
silvern
Bongonaut

Post by silvern » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:02 pm

I've tracked my diesel 4wd on Fuelly since 2010. My average is 24.7mpg, my best was 29.4mpg. 20ish around town, mid/high 20's at normal motorway speed.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/bongo/1 ... /fuelchart
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:11 pm

I have never bothered worrying about mpg and the bongo, if you do then the bongo is not the vehicle for you lol
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:18 am

David Edwards wrote:I have never bothered worrying about mpg and the bongo, if you do then the bongo is not the vehicle for you lol
I agree. Mind you, you used to run yours on cheap veg oil didn't you David?
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 am

Full side conversion, I get 20mpg urban and 28 on motorway runs. Diesel 4x4 auto. I cruise at a GPS verified 65 on the motorway.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:18 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
David Edwards wrote:I have never bothered worrying about mpg and the bongo, if you do then the bongo is not the vehicle for you lol
I agree. Mind you, you used to run yours on cheap veg oil didn't you David?

Owned :-)
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:19 pm

2.0Lt with full side conversion, 98 model. Motorway and town gave meabout 27.8mpg with x2 readings plugged into the Bongo mpg calculator.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 pm

Simon Jones wrote:My V6 with LPG averages around 19 MPG but gas is close to half the price of petrol so in cost terms it's around 35 MPG equivalent.
My V6 is used predominantly on motorways and long journey's for my work. if I ran on petrol I would reckon on 22mpg but it is always on gas except for the initial start up. I think on gas it's around the equivalent average of 35- 37mpg.

If I was around town it would be much less.

I rarely go over 60mph.

All that said I do not own one because it is cheap to run, I own it because they are luxury miles and fortunately I am able to charge 45p per business mile so I am running it at a good profit which covers the fuel, insurance, servicing etc. I could run a Skoda and be quid's in but no where near the fun I have now.
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:50 pm

Likewise, the very best I have managed with my V6 is 24mpg but with LPG at only 39.9p/l near me, do the maths.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:26 pm

weebrian wrote:Likewise, the very best I have managed with my V6 is 24mpg but with LPG at only 39.9p/l near me, do the maths.
Jeese that's cheap where is that from?

I am on 56.9
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:30 pm

A place near me in S Birmingham. Just a yard behind a workshop with five tanks and a couple of pumps. The owner claims to be the cheapest in the UK and wants to keep it that way. All the local taxis use it.
another bongo
Bongonaut

Post by another bongo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:42 pm

Never worked out the mpg but I fill up to the lid and re set the mileage (It's converted to miles) and get over 300 to a tank for everyday use. Had 350+ on long motorway journeys doing 55/60. When towing the caravan it was way down, 200 ish.. but I didn't risk letting it go too empty with the caravan so filled up before it got low. It's a '95 diesel 4wd full conversion. I love my bongo - as we all do :)
madlec
Bongonaut

Post by madlec » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:49 pm

We went to sunny Scotland for our hols, and with a normal dose of millers and an average speed of 65mph we got 30mpg from our 1997 4wd diesel. When I use it for work, the best I get is 27-28. The way our Freeda eats the miles, the drinking of the diesel is smallfry :-)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”