Bringmeabongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Butterfly Seekers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bringmeabongo

Post by Butterfly Seekers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:30 am

Hi,
Thanks for accepting us to this Forum. We are looking to purchase our first Bongo and have been in contact with Bringmeabongo based in Warrington.
I know there are always risks purchasing second hand vehicles but just wondering if anyone has had recent experiences with them (positive/negative) before we part with out hard earned money!
Thanks in advance
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Bringmeabongo

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:01 am

The best i've heard of in the north midlands area are Ian Taylor in Stoke on Trent and Wheelquick in Wigan, noth long established at selling AND fixing Bongos. Both have a strong reputation for being able to fix what they sell should there be a problem and for doing a 'gentlemans' warranty to back that up. A newish kid on the block building a very good reputation for spares and repair, and now in selling too i think, is Bongospares in Yorkshire. You have to be careful (and realistic) about buying Bongos these days are they are now an old car. I'm not sure if Wheelquick even deal in many now. Do your research on what to look out for (rust especially), good luck and happy hunting.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:14 am

There have been a number of very bad reports on FB regarding the company you mention, with some very upset people trading standards and courts involved. For instance https://www.facebook.com/groups/2529055 ... 983460733/ but a search in the three main Bongo groups on FB will get you plenty of references to the problems.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm

g8dhe wrote:There have been a number of very bad reports on FB regarding the company you mention, with some very upset people trading standards and courts involved. For instance https://www.facebook.com/groups/2529055 ... 983460733/ but a search in the three main Bongo groups on FB will get you plenty of references to the problems.
.....I wasn't going to say it but ;-)

The thing to remember is that many of us want a Bongo because we want to live a dream. And so the dreamsellers lay traps for us (pics of a bottle of wine, roses in a small vase, tv onboard etc). If we are not wary the dream can become a nightmare. Even at best a Bongo/campervan is like getting a pet - you have to expect vets bills!

Stick with a seller who can demonstrate good repair facility back-up and experience with Bongos, would be my advice. And in any case, have some capital in reserve to cover the unexpected (£1k minimum).
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Good advice from Mike and Geoff.

The reason you need a Bongo friendly garage is the cooling system on the V6 and 2.5 diesels needs bleeding after any leak or work.

This isn't a problem as long as you know that, but far too many cowboys either don't know, or don't care, as long as they get a sale.

The companies Mike has mentioned will look after you well, and there a quite a few more around the country. 8)
Butterfly Seekers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Butterfly Seekers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Thank you for your comments. We live in South Wales are this company will "Bring me a Bongo" for a small fee taken off the sale price if you purchase it. We've looked around but quite like their rear conversion, I realise that the condition of the van is a bigger factor to take into consideration than just the internal arrangements but if we can get the best of both then we are on to a winner. However I also realise that if we have problems its a long way to go to get them sorted!!! Hence the reason for asking what experiences people have had dealing with them.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:16 pm

It's a fact of life that to find a good vehicle the age they are it's worth a little time and effort travelling.

It will be much less hassle than getting a less than perfect Bongo delivered to your door, and will they pick it back up to do any work required?

Might be worth chatting to Phil, JAL, who is a well known supplier near Worcester. I'm pretty sure he has arrangements to have any warranty work carried out by his nominated garage near your home.

Otherwise a private sale may be better and keep the difference in price ring fenced for any work.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Butterfly Seekers wrote:Thank you for your comments. We live in South Wales are this company will "Bring me a Bongo" for a small fee taken off the sale price if you purchase it. We've looked around but quite like their rear conversion, I realise that the condition of the van is a bigger factor to take into consideration than just the internal arrangements but if we can get the best of both then we are on to a winner. However I also realise that if we have problems its a long way to go to get them sorted!!! Hence the reason for asking what experiences people have had dealing with them.
Without reference to any specific suppliers, there have been too many stories on here and Facebook where peeps have bought a Bongo after being put at ease by promises of worthless warranties etc etc. I've heard of vehicles being delivered late with no opportunity to test drive or properly inspect. Then customers have to get the Bongo back to the supplier's garage for any fixes. Drive it or have it done locally and the supplier can easily duck and dive. Automatics cannot be towed so transportation has to be by expensive flat bed truck.

All Bongos are old and therefore no financial commitment should be made without inspection and long test drive.

Hence why if you are not able to make your own educated assessment of a Bongo BEFORE parting with money then you really need to go with one of the garages who have the trust of the Bongo community. It's not the Bongo's fault. The fault lies with unscrupulous dealers capitalising on the Bongo's popularity and dwindling supply - as eminent people here have already alluded to.

Don't be put off. There are sound Bongos out there and some excellent people in the trade.
If you want to buy privately and want help, feel free to ask here. Somebody local may be able to help.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Bongo Chat”