JAL imports waiting time

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Bongograndpa
Apprentice Bongonaut

JAL imports waiting time

Post by Bongograndpa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 am

Hi all,
New to the forum but been lurking for quite some time and found the info really helpful in making my mind up to take the plunge.

Anyway we are looking at buying a fresh bongo import from JAL and was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with this company.

Been told the waiting time is about 5-6 months is that the norm.

Thanks in advance.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: JAL imports waiting time

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:58 am

Welcome. That doesnt sound too surprising, plus good Bongos at Japanese auctions are becoming scarcer.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:02 am

Look on the bright side,you could me a "Great Grandpa" before you get it.

:lol: :lol:

Good Luck.
Bongograndpa
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongograndpa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:09 am

:D :D
Thanks, suppose the best things come to those who wait.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi

I think you'll find it's worth waiting for a good one, And Phil does supply top vehicles.

Ours came from him almost 10 years ago and still very pleased.
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Give Phil a call, and ask him for a current stock list. He does carry plenty in stock, so he may well have one to hand that would suit you. You could always choose to get it converted elsewhere if time was important. He does supply good vehicles.
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Personally I'd think about buying un-converted any how and get along to some Meets then chat to owners of side/rear/home brewed fit outs and see what suits.

Difficult to change if you go for a set up that proves not brilliant.

You could always fetch a tent along or drop in as a day visitor.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:37 pm

I saw him a couple of weeks ago. Massive stock. If he'd had exactly what I wanted, he said he'd have got it ready unconverted in 2-3 weeks. I'd have got the roof elsewhere.
He has a list of those on way from Japan they would be here within 2 months. Email and he'll give you a current list.
I'm waiting on a Toyota Himedic 3.4l V6 Granvia going to Wheelquick in Wigan. Tracked it through Seoul and In Shanghai yesterday. Southampton end of September. Can't wait to get a look at it. Ready for road mid October.
Joe_anne123
Bongolier

Post by Joe_anne123 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:19 pm

I bought mine unconverted from JAL, from stock. It took about 6-8 weeks until it was ready to collect. I'd think carefully about plunging straight into a conversion.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Like Deb I bought from JAL unconverted, although he did put a Skylift roof on to it. I did a lot of research before I had the conversion done and I am well happy with what New Dawn Conversions in Birmingham did and still do!

Make sure you know what you want before you start converting, including roofs. There are plenty of options out there.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Quinny
Bongonaut

Post by Quinny » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:38 pm

We bought ours from JAL. We ordered an import around February time and picked it up in June, having had a skylift roof, alarm and mobiliser fitted and wax oiled. We have studied different conversions and have decided to go with JAL as he has the widest R & R bed, so it will go back to him again in September/October time to have the downstairs converted. It has been great as we have been able to use it all summer long and have gone to various Bongo meets and looked at other conversions, to make sure we had made the right decision based on our needs. Our van is very good, with low mileage and we are really pleased with it.
Gill
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Got mine from a company on Hayling Island NMA, they carry good stock un-converted & converted. Mines been with me for 6 years without any issues as was a quality van in the first place. Often drop in on them when down there on holiday & there stock always looks top notch.
Don't forget that there are a number of other good suppliers whos time scales may be better.

All the best on your quest.
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top

Return to “Bongo Chat”