First trip using the base seconds as an awning

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

sotal
Supreme Being

First trip using the base seconds as an awning

Post by sotal » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:34 pm

Just been away for our first camping trip using the base seconds as an awning. Well to be fair it is our first camping trip this year too :oops:

Things haven't quite gone to plan this year like they did for the last two years but after a slow start we eventually manged to get away this week.

We decided to try out the base seconds which I purchased for another purpose but had this in mind too. It was so much less effort to put up - I threw it out, by the time I'd got a few things out of the boot, my daughter had pegged it out. Putting away was easy too (although I have practised a few times now and have the knack!).

We do sacrifice a little space but the ease of setup certainly makes it worthwhile. We had decided we would use it for 2 night stays and use the full awning for anything longer - but have now revised that to 4-5 days, I can't see the full awning being used much!

The only thing we had seen was people using tarps to extend them somehow - is there a particular product for this - or is it a homemade solution?

We quite liked parking a few feet away from the base seconds, so that we could walk straight into the Bongo if required, it would be good to be able to link from the bongo to the base seconds with a tarp or to have a tarp coming off sideways from the other exit to give a sheltered area without sides.
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Re: First trip using the base seconds as an awning

Post by seventiesboy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:57 am

The Base Seconds is a brilliant product. When we had our Bongo after trying this, we stopped using the Khyam that we also had altogether. We also have the inner tent so can use it for sleeping too.
IMHO drive aways that connect to the van are too much of a faff trying to get everything aligned perfectly, so difficult when coming back to your pitch. Almost always end up with the flap that connects to the van pooling water when it rains.
If you have a roll out awning, the BS can sit right next to that and you'd never know they weren't connected. Works really well for us.
Fantastic product.
Glad you found the benefit, enjoy.
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:25 am

I have a Khyam Sun canopy and put the Quechua on the rear corner of the bongo or opposite the sliding door, depending on space available. I found having the tent opposite provided shade all day in the hot weather. Never bother having the tent right up to the door - too awkward.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Second trip completed, again using the base seconds as an awning.

Again seconds to put up and only a couple of minutes to put away. Still think a simple canopy would help. Think I'm going to get the green quechua tarp from decathlon and sew a pocket in one end to allow it it attach to the bongo with the pole method.

Only downside we really have is the size when folded down. Although it is relatively small the size is awkward, as in it doesn't fit in as easily! The bigger awning we have fits easily in the roof box. We just end up putting the base seconds on top of everything else inside the bongo and bungee it to the headrests to stop it sliding back and squashing the dog.
scootmonkee
Bongonaut

Post by scootmonkee » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 am

Hello
We use the Base Seconds, too.

We store ours, for travel, in the footwell against the sliding door. It's a perfect fit, keeps it out of the way (when we have two in the back and loads of gear) and it doesn't move so doesn't need tying down. The bulkiest part of the circle wedges into the footwell.

The door still slides open without a problem. When closing it, you just need to lean oven the seat and, after closing the door, and slide it in place

Hope this helps
It starts with love for foliage and ends in camouflage...
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Post by seventiesboy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:46 pm

sotal wrote:Second trip completed, again using the base seconds as an awning.

Again seconds to put up and only a couple of minutes to put away. Still think a simple canopy would help. Think I'm going to get the green quechua tarp from decathlon and sew a pocket in one end to allow it it attach to the bongo with the pole method.

Only downside we really have is the size when folded down. Although it is relatively small the size is awkward, as in it doesn't fit in as easily! The bigger awning we have fits easily in the roof box. We just end up putting the base seconds on top of everything else inside the bongo and bungee it to the headrests to stop it sliding back and squashing the dog.
I would agree that a canopy is really useful.
There are lots on line that you can buy e.g www.the-bus-shelter.com , lots on VW sites. We made our own in the end.
Re storing the Base Seconds, I might be wrong but I'm sure we used to put it under the AFT when travelling??
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
scootmonkee
Bongonaut

Post by scootmonkee » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:25 pm

seventiesboy wrote: I would agree that a canopy is really useful.
There are lots on line that you can buy e.g http://www.the-bus-shelter.com , lots on VW sites. We made our own in the end.
Re storing the Base Seconds, I might be wrong but I'm sure we used to put it under the AFT when travelling??
We tried that first but found that whilst we could store it in the AFT, the roof would only close fully if we removed the roof mattress first (which we then needed to find room for elsewhere, of course). The tent was easier to handle than the mattress, being compact and in a waterproof bag, making it quick for those in the back to pop it outside, whist exiting, if raining when we stopped en route.
It starts with love for foliage and ends in camouflage...
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Decided against the quechua tarp as it was nearly 3M wide which was a bit too wide.

Came across some windbreaks in the Aldi clearance area today for 4.99 each so bought two of them and have seen them together. This gives a tarp of about 2m x 3m made of lightweight tent material. It already had a pocket sewn in each end so the bar from our drive away awning slides in and hooks round the hooks in the aft.

It comes with short 1m poles but we have two tall poles from the drive away awning which work perfectly with it.

Even came with guy ropes and pegs.

So pretty happy with it for 9.98. Not the best with a sewing machine but managed!

So it gives us a nice quick sun canopy if we need it or a way to join in the base seconds.
silvern
Bongonaut

Post by silvern » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:27 pm

We use the Base Seconds with a tarp attached to the van. Works well for us and provides a large dry/shady eating area, and covered access to the tent from the van without blocking the side door. I had some 8mm beading sewn onto one side of the tarp so that it can attach to the gutter via a figure-eight strip.

Fingers crossed the photo works...
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Looks great. =D>
thehat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by thehat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:04 am

silvern wrote:We use the Base Seconds with a tarp attached to the van. Works well for us and provides a large dry/shady eating area, and covered access to the tent from the van without blocking the side door. I had some 8mm beading sewn onto one side of the tarp so that it can attach to the gutter via a figure-eight strip.
Greetings all from a Bongo newbie here. We've just had two separate nights away with our recently-purchased unconverted Freda. Ours came with a big awning which seems too much faff for a night or two, so I bought one of the Quechua tarps, and we used an old but easy-to-put-up tent that we've had for years under it as our luggage store. I don't trust my sewing skills so had wondered about getting awning strip sewn along to fit into a figure-eight. But silvern, presumably this means if you drive away you then have to flop that side of the tarp down over the tent?

I had hoped to put the tarp up free-standing, so we could drive the van up next to it, but we made a royal fist of attempting this and had to give up - much to the amusement of another family of campers. In the end we've used a couple of short bungees to attach two of the three eyelets on the tarp to those metal rings that stick out from the Bongo over the side door when the roof is up, and then a third pole under the remaining eyelet on that side, if that makes sense. This leaves a gap between the tarp and the van, but nothing major. The only drawback is that again we can't drive away without having to let the tarp flop down. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears! (I just can't figure out how to get a tarp free-standing in the right sort of shape...)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am

We use a pole to mount our canopy to the hooks in the aft. It takes seconds, much quicker, easier and secure than figure of 8. Plus it gives a few extra inches of headroom!

When we go we drop that side down, we have two short guy ropes ready which we peg down. I'll post some pictures later.
silvern
Bongonaut

Post by silvern » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:20 pm

thehat wrote: But silvern, presumably this means if you drive away you then have to flop that side of the tarp down over the tent?
Yes that is a downside of my budget set up! I usually just unattach the tarp from the van, and peg the loose side down. Needs a bit of adjustment when we get back as the van is never quite in the same place. Only takes minutes though.
thehat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by thehat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks both. It occurs to me that if I bring a 4th pole with me it would be easier to have the tarp standing up for itself.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:32 am

Here are some photos of our home made canopy. As I say two light weight wind breaks from ALDI in the clearance section for £4.99 each. Sewn together down the middle. Poles from our big awning.

The pictures aren't the best ever, it was a bit neater at the beginning of that trip, that was at the end after days of moving the Bongo and of wind - but it held up to all that!

Return to “Bongo Chat”