Thanks for 10 years of Support

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Glenda
Bongolier

Thanks for 10 years of Support

Post by Glenda » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 am

Would have struggled without the forum......
Unfortunately the forum has helped me leave the Bongo world for a Private Ambulance. Good reviews on Wheelquick made me check them out for a replacement Bongo and instead I've put a deposit down on this quirky, cool LWB van.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362023436288

May still need your help as will be driving around until November. Cheers and especially to Mikeon4BC for getting me to hear about the Mikes first.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Thanks for 10 years of Support

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Looks like a good motor, and very practical. :)

Do stay around, and I'm sure someone on here can answer any Toyota naughtiness. 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Glenda wrote:Would have struggled without the forum......
Unfortunately the forum has helped me leave the Bongo world for a Private Ambulance. Good reviews on Wheelquick made me check them out for a replacement Bongo and instead I've put a deposit down on this quirky, cool LWB van.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362023436288

May still need your help as will be driving around until November. Cheers and especially to Mikeon4BC for getting me to hear about the Mikes first.
Yup, totally get that choice and should serve you well. V best wishes for future adventures - i seem to recall one of your early posts showing you in the desert (Morocco?) with the Bongo? Wherever it was i was mightily impressed - Scotlands about my limit ha ha. Keep in touch on here when you can.

Mike
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 pm

the satellite dish in pic 2 looks a bit moroccan. 8) 8) . is that the size of the engine that is fitted , if yes i feel a gas conversion coming on. 8) 8) .

love the flat floor, itl make a great camper, apart from the japanese 999 calls coming through at all hours of the day and night on that radio phone system.

years of happiness comin your way, enjoy.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Yes Mike bought it the V6 at Southampton Auction £3,800 ungraded 42,000 on clock (Ian, dealer I think from Derby way gave me a thumbs up), Allans Vehicle Services got it on the road and went to Morocco within a month for 8 weeks. Now 130,000 miles on clock and slept in it for a total of at least 14 months been to most of Western Europe, 2 months Turkey , 2 months Iceland, renovated a house using it for rubble removal, rubbish removal, taking bricks from 2 chimney breasts to the tip, bringing back full sheets of plasterboard driving crushed up against steering wheel, baths, seaweed and horse manure for the allotment, had a Bongo Bar operating from the back at a few parties..It's been bloody marvellous and there's still life in the old dog :D and the old Bongo V6 =D>

As to the engine size of the ambulance 3.4 and I believe V6 as per Granvia but it's similar to the Bongo V6 on fuel consumption. I may have to forego the LPG as there may only be space for the tank if the spare wheel is carried inside. No way will the nurses put up with that dirty thing, let alone the wife.

Cheers Stuart
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:49 am

Nice motor, the 3.4 is the dogs, although a wee bit thirsty enjoy.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Well still a Bongo owner. The Toyota Himedic Granvia 3.4 V6 arrived at Southampton last week and has now landed at Wheelquick. Been a long 10 weeks. Driving up tomorrow to have a look and if happy should drive it home in a couple of weeks when it's all serviced and ready.
Very, very excited.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 pm

It will have to have LPG I have decided. It may only do 18-20mph.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Hmm, that is a little thirsty, even by Bongo standards.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Just had a trip to see Mike and the ambulance up at Wheelquick in Wigan. Can see why they are thought of so well on here. Great guy. very happy with Toyota Himedic and it's being prepared for the road. Only problem is checking that the privacy glass in the back and rear side can be replaced cheaply with tinted or at least clear glass. Waiting on Toyota to get back to us on availability and price. Anyone know a price estimate of auto glass being cut to size otherwise?

The other sad news is the Greece Green Bongo V6 is soon to be gone after 10 years with us. :(
Mike said we'd be better selling it ourselves and could only offer scrap value of £800. Thing is it needs a fair bit of work and has 120,000 miles on the clock.
4 new tyres £250-300
flashing hold light doesn't drop down gears from hold button but no problem for 10,000 miles
rear door battered and rust holes
Body work and wheel arches paintwork rusted
A/C not working

Will put it in for an early MOT this week and see if anything else comes up. I'm thinking the scrap value looks a good offer. Any thoughts?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm not sure you can get vehicle glass just cut to size.

It's likely either toughened or laminated and will be manufactured in one piece, but you might get somewhere with Plexiglass or similar.

Re letting your Bongo go you could try an honest description in Member's Ads, or talk to Ian Taylor or Bongo Spares for a price.

Let's hope it can be re-homed and fixed up. 8)
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:47 pm

The end of an era for Greece Green Bongo! Whatever happens to it now, I doubt it's life will be as anazing, it's taken you on some epic trips.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 am

Doone wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:47 pm The end of an era for Greece Green Bongo! Whatever happens to it now, I doubt it's life will be as anazing, it's taken you on some epic trips.
It certainly has. Annual trips to Devon being amongst them! It was 10 years ago this month I picked it up from Southampton Docks and drove it down to Allan's for it to be made ready for UK roads and serviced. I think he said he took it on a scuba diving trip with your daughter as part of it's road testing.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:49 am

If my memory is working (it often isnt :D) then they might have been doing an underwater cleanup on Plymouth Hoe and he drove up to watch? The trip down to Plymouth and sitting on the Hoe, looking at the sea, obviously contributed to your Bongo's willingness to wander. ;) I hope you have more happy & trouble free trips in your new wagon.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Making it very difficult for us to go our seperate ways. Today, a day after being on the MOT ramps, decided to spring a leak. We may have to give in and give the V6 a sitting tenancy to our drive. :D

Any ideas? It's dripping mid way up the engine block at the rear, just drivers side of middle, and just inside the end of the engine cover where it is collecting. Hard to look inside there.

Return to “Bongo Chat”