PhotoBucket to charge $399 a year

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Katka
Bongolier

Re: PhotoBucket to charge $399 a year

Post by Katka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 pm

unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage space for £6.99 a month
. Does that mean we'd each have this cost if we post a photo, or the Forum buy it but all contributors use it? If the first, those who just have a one-off question won't want it, and collectively forum members would pay rather a lot - I'd prefer to pay a sub to the forum. If the latter, it's good value.
Do we know what the bandwidth/capacity BF would need and its potential cost?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Katka wrote:
unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage space for £6.99 a month
. Does that mean we'd each have this cost if we post a photo, or the Forum buy it but all contributors use it? If the first, those who just have a one-off question won't want it, and collectively forum members would pay rather a lot - I'd prefer to pay a sub to the forum. If the latter, it's good value.
Do we know what the bandwidth/capacity BF would need and its potential cost?
It would be a cost for the forum. I have no idea on the accounts of the forum, but as there is an income from membership it may be possible that there are funds available - on the flip side there may be no spare money, it may already be running at the limit.

It was just an example to show that it is possible to host for a minimal amount. I posted the 100GB option as I would have thought that a forum of this size would struggle to ever fill 100GB with compressed jpegs.

I've no idea how close they are to bandwidth limits etc.

I've hosted a number of forums in the past (I have changed jobs since) and often self hosted the images on the server. By restricting size or automatically resizing images it allowed me to control the size and none of them got unmanageable, most forum software allows you to set a limit of total space for each user too. You're only talking a matter of KBs for compressed jpegs.

There is an added risk in allowing people to upload files as it gives them a point to try and hack the website by uploading malicious files but properly written checks reduce this as does only allowing verified members to post images (after 10 posts etc.)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:25 am

Bearing in mind I already pay $2.99/month (which I don't object to) I've just had an email from PhotoBucket telling me "Congratulations! You're part of Photobucket's Elite Beta Group! You have been hand selected out of millions of users to be an essential part of our team of influencers. Best part so far? We have created a monthly option for our Plus 500 Plan. And YOU get the first crack at it. It's only available from the link below, so click below to get started!"

Reading the Ts&Cs, for future only their Plus 500 plan will support 3rd party hosting. My special introductory rate for this is $60/month but if I subscribe for a Plus 500 plan afresh it's only $40/month. Confused.

I'm told my free 3rd party hosting will end at the end of 2018 so by then I'll have to have sorted out something else or pay through the nose to maintain my PhotoBucket account.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:41 am

And who's going to do that. Certainly not me when google host my pics just fine..... for now!
wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Post by wwaveydave » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 am

As a new member and Bongo owner I've been searching through a lot of older posts recently looking for information and soaking it all up.
There's a huge amount of great information and experience here, but it's been unfortunate on a number of occasions that potentially very helpful posts/FAQs/stickies etc have not got the photos any more, just broken links or placeholders. I'm not looking to criticise, just add my input into the conversation from a different perspective, as you guys are probably looking at more current posts whereas I'm looking through the full "knowledgebase".

Great forum by the way. Like I said, huge amount of information and experience here. :)
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Photobucket appear to have broken the internet. So many useful resources are now without images due to this.

Ok, they need to make money, but $400 a year!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:21 pm

wwaveydave wrote:As a new member and Bongo owner I've been searching through a lot of older posts recently looking for information and soaking it all up.
There's a huge amount of great information and experience here, but it's been unfortunate on a number of occasions that potentially very helpful posts/FAQs/stickies etc have not got the photos any more, just broken links or placeholders. I'm not looking to criticise, just add my input into the conversation from a different perspective, as you guys are probably looking at more current posts whereas I'm looking through the full "knowledgebase".

Great forum by the way. Like I said, huge amount of information and experience here. :)
I agree with you 1000%. I wrote some useful stuff, but it was nearly 10 years ago. I'm not writing it again if its been deleted!
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Perhaps it's time for Ian as Bongo Master to pick up this discussion thread and give us a steer on his thoughts and the implications of Photobucket's decision on the forum. What can be done or can't be done. I'm sure many Users will help as best they can to keep BF full of the gems of information that have been shared over the years, given the chance.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Would it make historical photos accessible if their IMG tag was replaced with the URL tag so readers can click through to see the photo on the Photobucket site? Whilst it does not bring back the inline photos it could make them accessible to readers. Unfortunately I can't properly test this on my PB account because my photos are still displaying using the IMG tag.

If it works from a photobucket perspective, then is it possible for a script to be written and run across the historical posts on the forum to do the conversion?

Here is what I mean:
This would display a photo inline

Code: Select all

[img]http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/Christopher_Merriman/Bongo%20in%20the%20Snow%20at%20Afan/Bongointhesnow_zps6b9321c8.jpg[/img]
Convert it to this to get a clickable link:

[url]http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/Christopher_Merriman/Bongo%20in%20the%20Snow%20at%20Afan/Bongointhesnow_zps6b9321c8.jpg[/url]
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a48 ... 9321c8.jpg

Or a bit neater, only display the file name and not the whole URL:

[url=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/Christopher_Merriman/Bongo%20in%20the%20Snow%20at%20Afan/Bongointhesnow_zps6b9321c8.jpg]Bongointhesnow_zps6b9321c8.jpg[/url]
Bongointhesnow_zps6b9321c8.jpg
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:44 pm

As it is only old posts it is probably easier just to tell people to Right Click on the images and then click on "Open image in new tab" (Chrome - but other browsers are similar) - This will then open the photo bucket page.

I've just tested the above and it worked for most of the images but for some reason Chrome had already cached the "upgrade for 3rd party hosting" holder image for a couple of them so it still displayed that even on the photobucket website. However pressing Ctrl + F5 seemed to reload the page with the correct image.

So fairly simple to still view the images if it is important.

However, the photobucket website seems to be getting slow to load and is full of adverts which pop over the images some of the time - horrible site!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:14 am

Katka wrote:Perhaps it's time for Ian as Bongo Master to pick up this discussion thread and give us a steer on his thoughts and the implications of Photobucket's decision on the forum. What can be done or can't be done. I'm sure many Users will help as best they can to keep BF full of the gems of information that have been shared over the years, given the chance.
We are working in the background on this and we have a few things in mind. We will keep you posted.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:16 am

Ian wrote:
Katka wrote:Perhaps it's time for Ian as Bongo Master to pick up this discussion thread and give us a steer on his thoughts and the implications of Photobucket's decision on the forum. What can be done or can't be done. I'm sure many Users will help as best they can to keep BF full of the gems of information that have been shared over the years, given the chance.
We are working in the background on this and we have a few things in mind. We will keep you posted.
Thanks Ian.
Encouraging news.
Don't realise how important these things are until they play up!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Just found out that there is an extension you can download for chrome called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix".

It is only tiny and takes seconds to install, but once installed you can suddenly see all photos again which are hosted on PhotoBucket.

Not a perfect solution as everyone would have to do it to see all the photos but it could be useful if you're looking at a post and want to see the photos. Also useful if anyone wants to go through and download the photos to host elsewhere.

Hopefully it will help someone out. It is nice to see the forum again with photos on the older posts! :lol:
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Good spot! This uses a similar idea to the one we posted at https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... 42&t=74093

As an example, I retrieved some photos for an old thread tonight and you can see the results at https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... =3&t=47878
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:51 am

sotal wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:35 pm Just found out that there is an extension you can download for chrome called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix".

It is only tiny and takes seconds to install, but once installed you can suddenly see all photos again which are hosted on PhotoBucket.

Not a perfect solution as everyone would have to do it to see all the photos but it could be useful if you're looking at a post and want to see the photos. Also useful if anyone wants to go through and download the photos to host elsewhere.

Hopefully it will help someone out. It is nice to see the forum again with photos on the older posts! :lol:
Great find. Any idea if i can get a fix for chrome on my android phone?

Return to “Bongo Chat”