Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

balfie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Height of a bongo.

Post by balfie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi all,

Newbie here!
I currently have a tent, which I am thoroughly fed up with :-D and looking buy a campervan of some sort - my first ever :)

Have been looking at a few options and a Bongo is seeming like the best option, and have found my way to this site.

Whatever I end up with is going to have to live in our garage, and currently the up and over door is too low for most things so we are looking at getting it replaced with something else to give us more height.
Currently it looks like the best height option we will end up will end up just shy of 2 metres at 1990.

Do any of you kind people know how tall bongos are - google tells me the height is 2.09, if this is correct it wouldnt fit in my garage? :(
Do they vary?
Markas
Bongolier

Re: Height of a bongo.

Post by Markas » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi Balfie,
Welcome to the forum. I'm new here myself!
Dimensions are on the following website:
http://www.bongocamper.com/specifications/dimensions/
Bongos do differ as there are Auto Free Top (AFT) models with the electric pop up roof and tin top (Bongolow :lol:) models.
The tin top models are still quoted as 2.0 metres so you would struggle to fit one in your garage, unless you let the tyres down a bit perhaps?!
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:00 pm

and use 2.1m as the guide for the AFT model (hence the spec you read of 2.09m).
Models with an aftermarket pop top fitted by a converter will differ again.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Or 6'10" if you're my age. :lol:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:05 pm

I have an upcoming problem about height soon. My work provides free car parking (a privilege not a right, as they keep telling us). At the moment, I park in a secure area without height barriers but as of 1st September we are moving to 3 different parking areas situated close, nearby and not so close (but a guaranteed spot)!

My dilemma is that Tonto has a Skylift roof with 3 mushroom vents sitting on top. I have tried to measure the height but am guessing at 2.15, 2.2 to be sure.

Of course, all 3 of the new car parks have height barriers of 2.1m except one that has a multi-storey (2.05m) and an area to the side that does not! I have to apply for that car park in the hope that I can get to work early enough to get a space (not guaranteed). If I can't get a space? I can't fit in the long stay Council-owned one either (2.1m), so would be driving up and down the local streets looking for somewhere to park. Not my idea of fun!

I'm really looking forward to September ...... not!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:I have an upcoming problem about height soon. My work provides free car parking (a privilege not a right, as they keep telling us). At the moment, I park in a secure area without height barriers but as of 1st September we are moving to 3 different parking areas situated close, nearby and not so close (but a guaranteed spot)!

My dilemma is that Tonto has a Skylift roof with 3 mushroom vents sitting on top. I have tried to measure the height but am guessing at 2.15, 2.2 to be sure.

Of course, all 3 of the new car parks have height barriers of 2.1m except one that has a multi-storey (2.05m) and an area to the side that does not! I have to apply for that car park in the hope that I can get to work early enough to get a space (not guaranteed). If I can't get a space? I can't fit in the long stay Council-owned one either (2.1m), so would be driving up and down the local streets looking for somewhere to park. Not my idea of fun!

I'm really looking forward to September ...... not!
Moped? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:53 am

Jilly, be very wary of multi stories where you are close to the max height.

These are mostly checked verticaly and you can wallop the back end as you go down a ramp and Bongy pivots on the rear axle, blunt end going up. :(
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Bob wrote:Jilly, be very wary of multi stories where you are close to the max height.

These are mostly checked verticaly and you can wallop the back end as you go down a ramp and Bongy pivots on the rear axle, blunt end going up. :(
Yes, I'm aware of that.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
balfie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by balfie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Sorry for delayed reply!
Thanks for all your responses, looks like I have to rethink my plans as a Bongo isnt going to fit in my garage.
Disappointing :(
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Shame. :(

Return to “Bongo Chat”