Well, hello there!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Burningwindmill
Apprentice Bongonaut

Well, hello there!

Post by Burningwindmill » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Hello there! I'm a brand new bongo-er (is that the correct term?)

Today I went for a test drive on a local 96 bongo, diesel 2 litre, 120k miles for 3k.

I'm doing the sleeping on it thing, but probably taking the plunge tomorow, so excited for the freedom it gives you and the wonderful high driving position!

Just thought I'd say hi!

:-)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Well, hello there!

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:21 am

welcome to the mad world.

just in case your mistaken or its important to you the diesel is a 2.5 ltr, the petrol is either a 2.5 or 2 ltr. :)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:54 am

And welcome from me and Sue. :D
Burningwindmill
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Burningwindmill » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 am

Northern Bongolow wrote:welcome to the mad world.

just in case your mistaken or its important to you the diesel is a 2.5 ltr, the petrol is either a 2.5 or 2 ltr. :)
Its defo a diesel so must be 2.5 :-) Thanks for that!
Burningwindmill
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Burningwindmill » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:11 am

Bob wrote:And welcome from me and Sue. :D
Bless you lovely chaps, I slept on it, it still seems a good idea, I think I'll go get it this afternoon. Im always worried when buying cars, you never really know what you are getting, all part of the fun though and looks like bongos are jolly reliable from my reading around here - apart from the cooling thing which ill keep an eye on :-)
MalcW
Bongonaut

Post by MalcW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:18 am

Hi there

They are a wee bit prone to rust as well, especially around the rear wheel arches, and the front and rear crossmembers. All repairable of course, but it would be worth checking. Check the MOT history if you know the registration, that will give you an idea of how it's fared in the past. And if you go ahead and it hasn't got a low coolant alarm, fit one.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:27 am

Good advice from MalcW, this is what you could end up with if you are not careful.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... hp?t=72827

It would be worthwhile giving the vehicle a VERY close inspection for rust a corrosion .

Good Luck.
Burningwindmill
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Burningwindmill » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks guys for that advice!

The beast is a bit rusty round the wheel arches but has had a wax oil treatment underneath recently so hopefully should be okay for a few years :-)
cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:17 am

Welcome to the World of Bongo for fun freedom and adventure. See you in a field somewhere soon. :D
Cazzy
Art of Wax ( Facebook page)
"Art is a pigment of your imagination". (Darcy Gerdes)
Burningwindmill
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Burningwindmill » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:02 pm

cazzyblues wrote:Welcome to the World of Bongo for fun freedom and adventure. See you in a field somewhere soon. :D
Thank you! Will probably be in a field this evening trying out the 4 wheel drive!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Burningwindmill wrote:Thanks guys for that advice!

The beast is a bit rusty round the wheel arches but has had a wax oil treatment underneath recently so hopefully should be okay for a few years :-)
Welcome. If the beast is a bit rusty around the wheel arches and has only had a waxoyl treatment recently..........its quite likely there could be some similar corrosion that happened well before waxoyl was applied. I think you should inspect thoroughly in all these key areas for starters:

* Inner cills, especially at junctions with front cross member just behind front wheel arches.
* Inner cill/floor around the rear heater unit
* Metal piping supplying the rear heater circuit
* Front cross member underneath radiator, and onto which the radiator mounts
* Rear cross member and inner arches/flooring both near the rear bumper and (hidden behind) exhaust back box.

Sadly, if welding should need doing, the fresh application of waxoyl will complicate matters as it introduces a fire hazard meaning a second person will need to stand by with a fire extinguisher while the welder works.

Sorry for appearing negative: I could be worrying about nothing and its all sound underneath, but my 96 model was cared for quite well and quality (dinitrol) waxoyled not long after I bought it (i.e. 10 years ago), but has still had to have repairs done in all the above areas. Best you're eyes wide open on the possibility and are ahead of the game before MOT time. I've probably spent around £1.5k on rust related repairs in total but regard it as money well spent as the Bongo has served me incredibly well for nearly 11 years and for a low initial outlay. They do what they do just great :-)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:49 pm

On a 21yr old lump of steel rust is to be expected and comes down to whether the price being paid allows you to budget for anticipated expenditure in this area.

The diesel engine has good longevity but is prone to its head cracking if the cooling system fails to do its stuff. To avoid unexpected and significant expenditure it really is worth checking for signs of head troubles or overheating problems, both by inspection and during the test drive. I would also budget for replacing any remaining original 21 yr old cooling system components as preventive maintenance.

I hope this helps
Good luck.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Burningwindmill
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Burningwindmill » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks guys for the advice! Mega appreciated!

I had a good look with my limited powers and it seemed ok, and the MOT had no advisories and not due again until next june :-)

Prepared to do some work when it pops up, and defo keeping an eye out for cooling problems during use, looks like its a biggy!
cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:16 am

Burningwindmill wrote:
cazzyblues wrote:Welcome to the World of Bongo for fun freedom and adventure. See you in a field somewhere soon. :D
Thank you! Will probably be in a field this evening trying out the 4 wheel drive!
I hope it all went well. :D
Cazzy
Art of Wax ( Facebook page)
"Art is a pigment of your imagination". (Darcy Gerdes)

Return to “Bongo Chat”