Potential bongee...

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Murph
Apprentice Bongonaut

Potential bongee...

Post by Murph » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Hello all

Hubby and I are looking at getting a bongo and wanted some expert advice.
We've got a few uses in mind for it..

1. Hubby, doggie and me going on holidays mostly UK but occasional trip to France. We'd need cooking and loo for that.
so for those of you that go bongo-ing with a doggy - any tips about bed configurations and securing them whilst travelling?

2. Horsey and myself going to horsey clinics and competitions. I've got a single trailer which with the horse onboard weighs 1250kgs. My current tow vehicle manages easily and its rated to tow 1600kgs which I believe is similar to the bongo? But the Bongo would give me much more room for my kit and tack and accommodation too.
Does anyone tow regularly with their bongo - anything I need to know?

3. Hubby going on mad cycling competitions. So that'd be him and the bike only..

So currently looking at 4WD, side conversion which we can fit a tow bar and bike rack to. Does that sound about right and is the Bongo the dog, horse and cycle friendly camper van of our dreams?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Potential bongee...

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi. :D

We tow a 1600kg caravan, no probs so far.

Diesel and 4wd.

I'd recomend an oil cooler fot the auto box. Easy enough diy fix. :wink:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:16 pm

it really depends when you or the driver passed there test as to the maximum allowable mass you can weigh in total, thats the tow motor and trailer and load in both. sounds like with a loaded converted bongo with tack and a horse and trailer may be close to exceeding the m.a.m. if your a recently passed driver.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:18 am

Good point Ady.

2250 kgs of Bongo plus 1600 kgs of trailer comes in over 3500 kgs.
Murph
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Murph » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks Bob and Ady, so I'm good from a license perspective as passed in 1996.

But is this where the gross train weight come in - does anyone know them for the bongos..? as I'd need it to be nearer 4000 kgs.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:37 pm

in general you should keep the trailer weight at about 85% of the weight of the tow vehicle, but this is a guide and not the law, but it is a good safe way of keeping the whole thing stable and safe. it sounds like your well practiced at towing heavy moving loads so this just leaves the restrictions of the tow bongo.
someone on here will have more info on the max towball weight of the bongo and the kerb weight of the bongo to start working the maths up to M,A,M.
i must admit that i just tow anything as i have a class c and e licence, (hgv) including very large tandem axle caravans but to keep within the law you must find the max a bongo weighs and what it can tow and work from there, the problem is the bongo doesnt come with kerb weight plates etc.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Max weight on the tow ball, also known as 'Nose Weight' is 85 kg for Bongy. :wink:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:39 am

cheers bob.
please be aware of the towbars on bongo,s, there are 2 types, one better than the other in standard form but can be modified.
if you use the search tab at the top of the page and type in tow and bar etc, then have a good read up on the best one to buy etc.

Return to “Bongo Chat”