Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

mitchelln
Bongolier

Hello! Keen potential Bongo owner seeking engine advice

Post by mitchelln » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi.

Nice to see such a great community!

I'm looking at a 2003 Bongo that has been fitted out very nicely and is in great well cared for condition. 74K on the clock. I'm really keen to start my Bongo adventures with it, but have a major worry.

My worry is the engine - it's got the 2L petrol which I hear is underpowered. I intend to use the Bongo as my daily drive which is mainly dual carriageway with one fairly steep hill.

Will the 2L cope? Are there ways to coax more power out of the engine? I don't want to be struggling uphill at 25mph with my foot to the floor every day!

It really does look like a lovely example, so I'm hoping I don't have to continue my search.

One other thing if I may. Everyone recommends the 2.5L turbo diesel, but will that soon be impacted by emissions legislation? London will be effectively banning older diesels within a couple of years? In which case the petrol option might be a more attractive proposition going forward?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Black Aero City Runner 2L petrol with full side conversion
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Hello! Keen potential Bongo owner seeking engine advice

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi, and welcome. :D

I've not driven a 2ltr so I'm not the best preson to comment, but peeps who have them say they are adequate rather than rocket ships, but the Bongo isn't a racing car anyhow.

MPG Won't be much better that diesel.

The torque of the diesel really comes in if you tow a caravan or heavy trailer. Not such an issue running light, but there is the weight of the conversion.

I can only see restrictions on diesel vehicles getting worse, but anyone's guess exactly what will happen so petrol may be better from that angle.

The 2ltr is also a simpler engine and does not require the bleed proceedure after work on the cooling system. This is a big plus.

Can you take it on a test drive? Ideally on your regular run, but at least up a similar hill.

Even with the present owner driving you should get an idea how it performing. 8)

Good luck. :D
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks very much for the information Bob!

I forgot to mention that's it's a tin top, so I would imagine it's that little bit lighter than an auto top. It's got a well done mid conversion - sink, hob etc and the rear seats. Will be using it as a day van mainly with two young children. The only thing going on the tow bar will be a bike rack!

I'm not expecting sporty performance, just concerned that I'll incur the wrath people queuing behind me on hills or I'll struggle to joint the flow on slip roads.
The seller is a bit nervous about handing the wheel of his baby over to a stranger (and it definitely is his baby!). He did recently do a month touring Spain with his wife and got back in one piece ;)

It's amazing how far petrol engine tech has progressed in 10 years (mainly driven by tax legislation!). My Jazz has a 1.4 which puts out the same hp as the Bongo's 2 litre. Perhaps I can find an engine fettler who can squeeze a bit extra out.

There seems very little information when I do a Google search. I guess this can be seen as both a good and a bad thing - no screams of "oh my, I have to get out and push!"
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 pm

The 2l petrol is the cheapest engine option to maintain so this may be worth considering if its your daily drive. Also holiday Bongos tend to be heavily laden beasts of burden, unlike a commuting vehicle and so you may not be putting it to quite the same test. Performance is a bit subjective so maybe, as Bob says, a test drive is needed or at least a ride in one to see if it meets your own expectations.

Just seen your last post - if it helps at all in your quest for further info on engine tweaking, the 2l was shared with the Mazda 626.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks for that Chris. I tried searching for Bongo tuning, but came up blank. I would imagine Mazda 626 should yield more info.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Let the engine spin and you won't be holding anyone up
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

You could also consider getting a Turbo fitted to the 2l,the 2.5td is a pancake without the turbo .

Good Luck.
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks for all your help. A new Bongo owner coming up I think! :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:39 pm

rita wrote:You could also consider getting a Turbo fitted to the 2l,the 2.5td is a pancake without the turbo .

Good Luck.
Just so the original poster is not left puzzled, are you making a serious suggestion here or is this tongue in cheek humour?
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 pm

Don't worry, I realised the turbo thing is probably a joke!

I just did a long test drive on my normal commute route. It's absolutely fine. Certainly pleasantly more pokey than I was expecting.

One new Bongo fan coming up!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Nice one. =D>
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company?

Many thanks!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:22 pm

mitchelln wrote:Don't worry, I realised the turbo thing is probably a joke!

I just did a long test drive on my normal commute route. It's absolutely fine. Certainly pleasantly more pokey than I was expecting.

One new Bongo fan coming up!
Excellent. The impression I get is the 2l is nippy enough provided its not over-laden. Being a tintop should help considerably also as the AFT roof is heavy.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 pm

mitchelln wrote:Can anyone recommend a good insurance company?

Many thanks!
If it isn't converted then you are looking at insuring it as an mpv and that will exclude many/most of the campervan orientated insurers advertising around this site. Insurance is so variable and dependent on individual circumstances it isn't possible to put a particular company on a pedestal. I'd try any existing insurer you may have found good for you for starters and work from there, perhaps maximising any multi-car discount options etc.

For ideas of companies you could have a skip through the forum using a search like this (+insurance +company) |insurer*

If its converted then you can take advantage of cheaper campervan insurance. Many advertise on the Bongo Fury Insurance page and many find the Camping and Caravan club good.

Hope this helps.
oh .... and welcome to Bongo Bongo Land.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks for all the great info and the welcome everyone.
I've definitely made the right choice :)

It's converted and registered as a camper. I'll check out the pages.

Could be on the road in time for the weekend!

Return to “Bongo Chat”