My head is spinning!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Ahdanielsan
Apprentice Bongonaut

My head is spinning!

Post by Ahdanielsan » Fri May 19, 2017 10:18 am

Hi all,

I'm a new member looking for a Bongo in time for summer, and after a week of calls and emails my head is spinning. :shock:

I spoke to a chap at a Bongo importer who told me we wouldn't get a decent camper for under 11k, and that the Bongo reseller market was full of cowboys. And I have to admit, I came away from that call pretty deflated.

Apologies for what I'm sure is a question most newbies ask, but is there a trusted place to buy Bongos from? I'm based in the south west (nr Bristol). I had a look on Gumtree, and saw some for sale in south Wales. But when I Googled the company, and looked on here, there were some negative comments about them.

Our budget is around 8k (max).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Dan
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: My head is spinning!

Post by Bongolia » Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 am

Ahdanielsan wrote:Hi all,

I'm a new member looking for a Bongo in time for summer, and after a week of calls and emails my head is spinning. :shock:

I spoke to a chap at a Bongo importer who told me we wouldn't get a decent camper for under 11k, and that the Bongo reseller market was full of cowboys. And I have to admit, I came away from that call pretty deflated.

Apologies for what I'm sure is a question most newbies ask, but is there a trusted place to buy Bongos from? I'm based in the south west (nr Bristol). I had a look on Gumtree, and saw some for sale in south Wales. But when I Googled the company, and looked on here, there were some negative comments about them.

Our budget is around 8k (max).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Dan
Who was the importer?
Well I suppose to a cerain extent he is right but I wonder if those cowboys are using the same line? :wink:
You should be able to pick up something in the UK for that sum bearing in mind the level of equipment fitted, year, model etc.
I would take that with a pinch of salt it sounds more of a "buy from me to be safe" sales pitch.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri May 19, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi Dan

Welcome aboard, we're in Nailsea. 8)

Depends on your budget and what you want. Converted or not? How many beds do you need?

I'd have a look at the Members' Ads on here, and read the 'Buying a Bongo' info.

We bought unconverted intending to get to a few Meets and look at different set ups, talk to owners, and see what would work for us before committing. 10 Years later its still unconverted as it's so useful as is and we have a caravan to give us more room if we stay on site for a while.

ADS, South Liberty Lane, sometimes have them for sale, but be very wary of e bay sellers in Bristol - a search will reveal much.

Hope that helps a little. :)
Ahdanielsan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ahdanielsan » Fri May 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Bongolia wrote: Who was the importer?
Well I suppose to a cerain extent he is right but I wonder if those cowboys are using the same line? :wink:
You should be able to pick up something in the UK for that sum bearing in mind the level of equipment fitted, year, model etc.
I would take that with a pinch of salt it sounds more of a "buy from me to be safe" sales pitch.
It was JAL(?).

Yeah, I've experienced the borderline aggressive' we're the best, only buy from us' sales technique before, and I have to say that I'm not a fan. I'll keep an eye on the sales page and see what comes up in the next few weeks.

Cheers!
Ahdanielsan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ahdanielsan » Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Bob wrote:Hi Dan

Welcome aboard, we're in Nailsea. 8)

Depends on your budget and what you want. Converted or not? How many beds do you need?

I'd have a look at the Members' Ads on here, and read the 'Buying a Bongo' info.

We bought unconverted intending to get to a few Meets and look at different set ups, talk to owners, and see what would work for us before committing. 10 Years later its still unconverted as it's so useful as is and we have a caravan to give us more room if we stay on site for a while.

ADS, South Liberty Lane, sometimes have them for sale, but be very wary of e bay sellers in Bristol - a search will reveal much.

Hope that helps a little. :)
Ah, that's just the other side of Bristol from us. I'll definitely give the 'Buying a Bongo' posts a read, as it's becoming pretty clear that there are some things to look out for (including some mysterious seller from Bristol who literally EVERYONE has warned me about).
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri May 19, 2017 2:17 pm

I got mine from 1st Birmingham motors
They have quite a few new imports in and let them go for £5-8000 unconverted
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Gasy wrote:I got mine from 1st Birmingham motors
They have quite a few new imports in and let them go for £5-8000 unconverted
I also got mine NOV 2012 from
1st Birmingham motors
just googling this i got (the guy i dealt with)

About MR MOHAMMED UMAR FAROOQ

Mr Mohammed Umar Farooq holds 2 appointments at 2 active companies, has resigned from 0 companies and held 2 appointments at 2 dissolved companies. MOHAMMED began their first appointment at the age of 27. Their longest current appointment spans 5 years, 0 months and 18 days at 1ST B'HAM MOTORS LTD

The combined cash at bank value for all businesses where MOHAMMED holds a current appointment equals £29.5k, a combined total current assets value of £29.6k with a total current liabilities of £31.1k and a total current net worth of £-1.5k. Roles associated with Mr Mohammed Umar Farooq within the recorded businesses include: Director

I've been happy as larry with mine. 17kmiles since purchase 198Kkm at purchase, but a good body. (ps his undersealing was shit. i would advise not getting the importer waxoiling ( waxoyling you can get a proper assessment of the underneath) but get a reduction in price and do it yourself or pay proper money.
Mine was 8 seater as imported.
Iv'e been through 3 layouts so don't jump too quickly. look at others, talk to people look here

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 47&t=37365
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Sat May 20, 2017 7:40 am

Interesting if you add The Star to your search requirements. Good to hear the Bongo as a machine is above this!
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sat May 20, 2017 7:43 am

When you googled them
Did you find the bit where they were done a few years back for clocking vehicles
And if you visit the garage is rather back street and dodgy looking
But mine is also a excellent bongo gave me no major problems for 4 years

So do check vehicles over before buying
He told me his name was Mohamed then others were calling hem Ahmed
But as he said to me all I do is import them and give them a service and clean, I moved onto bongos because people have stopped buying as many Nissan skyline type of vehicles
There just importing them

I'd buy of them again :D
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Sat May 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Good advice.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sat May 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Yes i did know about the clocking but with 198K on the clock doesn't sound clocked and even the Japanese oil service stickers tied in.
Yes a back street dealership but when looking for mine I seen much more dodgey looking ones in London.
But looked like simple import what you see is what you get.
Yes I'd concider buying from there again but unlikely since mine has got at least a another 10 years in it even if I haven't.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:23 pm

I would arm yourself with as much prior knowledge about Bongo's as possible (unlike me as my arm was being twisted by the Mrs.) and bought one in 3-4 days after searching google for "Automatic camper van"

Fortunately I know a few basics... rust checks, how to look around an old car for some tell tale signs (all I have known is old motors :( ) So this puts you in a better place. I am fairly sure in one or 2 of my posts I put a fairly extensive list of things/basics to look out for on ANY second hand car really.

Listen when the person drives it (or you drive it) ideally on back roads and a little run up the local M-Way and back anyone worth buying from will be 100pct cool with this if they sit in the passenger seat or vice versa), listen for loud whirs, grinding noises when steering or clocks etc when accelarating, strange sounds as gears change, squeaks and vibrations on full steering lock, look for rust take a really high power torch and look underneath the sills, be with the car for a good 30mins looking everywhere you possible can for rust. Check fans, air con and switches, radio, mirrors move in and out ok, check screen for chips, look at door hinges and how the doors close, the sound they make etc. in the car, indicators, steering play (wobble the wheel a bit and forwards an back for any obvious play), excessive smoke when revving, smooth or at least steady (on a diesel) idling, tyre tread/side walls, water tank, ask if they know where the oil top up is and the header tank etc. gives you an idea if they have any clue about maintenance. Make sure central locking is working, the AFT roof goes up and down smooth. Check tail gate struts and rubber seals around doors for excessive wear.

Just search google for... "What to look for when buying a second hand car" Then hone that in on Bongo's - 3 hours one evening that will pay you back dearly.

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-out-a-Used ... -Buying-It

Ideally a Bongo's rear arches and the panel metal surrounding it should be 100pct free of rust or bubbling, check the sills under and waterways / seem run offs for rust. Also under the hood check the drain hole is not blocked in the windscreen sill/water way collector runner (or whatever it is called :lol: )

High mileage does not have to be the end of the world if maintained well, but if it has done say 200,000 kms or 160,000 miles then the entire mechanics of the vehicle has (that mileage need not be a problem for diesel for example), suspension, steering, axles, bearings, engine, drive shafts, gearbox have as well unless service history is present.

If someone who is selling you it seems evasive about your questions, or unpleasant in attitude like they don't care or don't have answers or are excessively hesitant, sling yer hook, dealer or private. Go with your gut feeling.

Luckily we bought ours from a couple who were nice people and honest about everything (just like ourselves) and only lived 30 miles away, £5K, 3 years ago and it is a great Bongo. Can't get one for 11K, rubbish.

Hopefully if/when this gets sold on we can get more than I paid cause it is better now than it was before and I have a close watchful eye on it through the year to stop/treat rust. No plans of selling for a good while yet mind you.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:33 pm

There is also a garage in Swindon that has had some good reports for servicing (never used them myself) who also advertise Bongos for sale.
http://premierbongosltd.co.uk/bongos-for-sale/

Not really a recommendation but not heard bad things about them.

BB123 is spot on in his post.
Really need to go in with eyes open and you'll have a much better chance of coming out with a good Bongo, or perhaps more importantly, one that you consider to be good value and meets your expectation.
It is fair to say that demand for decent Bongos is probably higher than supply so there are people out there exploiting the market. But that is not unusual with car buying but just more noticeable when there are fewer around.

If you are looking at lower budget vans and want to save a lot of travelling to view disappointingly described vehicles, I'd first spend a good while on the phone running through a thorough checklist and negotiating a maximum price for any Bongo that looks interesting. Private or garage sale.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Bongo Chat”