Think i found the one! :)

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Bongobabe
Apprentice Bongonaut

Think i found the one! :)

Post by Bongobabe » Mon May 15, 2017 10:54 am

Hello,
Complete newbie to the world of bongos and my first post so forgive me if this has been asked before!
I’ve been looking around for some time for my first ever bongo (very excited) and I think I may have found the one, yay!!
Can anyone tell me of their experience of buying from topsham car sale in devon, in particular after sales service?
Have searched reviews and the forums but can’t find much info, so any experience you lovely peeps may have had would be of great help!
Many thanks :)
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Think i found the one! :)

Post by Bob » Mon May 15, 2017 11:15 am

Hi, and welcome to BF.

Not used Topsham myself, but I do seem to recal good reports on here so I think you'll be fine. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon May 15, 2017 11:31 am

They're a well known bunch who've been selling Bongos for the 10+ years I've had one. Can't comment on after sales service but seem to recall happy customers in the past. You could ask them if they deal with warranty themselves and/or use a local bongo savvy garage, or whether they use the standard 3rd party 3 month warranty (which is not well thought of generally). Hopefully it's the former. Out of interest what age/model/time in UK Bongo are you going for?

And welcome :-)

P.s. if you put 'topsham' in the search box there's actually quite a lot of posts about them.
Bongobabe
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongobabe » Mon May 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Many thanks for your replies ;)
I’m seeking new import, mpv, tintop, new(ish) as possible (with view to converting with kitchen & roof at later stage when finance allow) and Topsham’s seem to fit the bill so far as their vehicles seem very reasonable. But! …I’m over 3 hours away from Exeter so running back and forth should any problems arise may be difficult. I’m hoping that won’t be the case but you never know, so a warranty is crucial. I have found other dealers offer 12 months (parts and labour) but Topsham’s info states only 3 months cover, so a little worried about that plus the distance? In general does anyone know what happens in the event of an issue (even if only small), does one have to return to the same garage or could you go to your local garage under a warranty, or does it depend upon the warranty? Always bought local in the past (cars that is) so this bongo business, although exciting, is also a bit scary!! :shock:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 pm

It all depends on the warranty.

If the seller underwrites it themselves they may well want the vehicle bringing in for any work, although some (JAL for one) have contacts across Britain and will authorise work to be done by a contact.

If its a 'Bought In' warranty it should be possible to get work done local to you, but as we've just seen on here, some garages aren't keen to take on work due to difficulty getting paid.

Roughly where abouts are you? We may be able to recommend someone nearer. :wink:
Bongobabe
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongobabe » Thu May 25, 2017 10:47 am

Hi again,
Well I’ve taken the plunge and collect ‘basil’ the bongo next week!! :)
In the end I'll have to pay extra for 12 months warranty and should anything go wrong it has to go back from whence it came!! but fingers crossed it won’t come to that (hopefully).

But can I ask … does anyone know if bongos come with std rear fog light/s (i.e.2002). Haven’t been able to make contact with seller to ask as yet.
Asking re. insurance? I’m plumping for lifesure group but have just noted on their blurb,

‘any vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1980, at least one rear fog light must be fitted on the centre-line or offside of the vehicle’

Didn’t even occur to me that they may not have them?

Many thanks again in advance
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu May 25, 2017 11:04 am

They don't come with a rear fog as it's not required in Japan.

However it's a very easy fit and will be required before it can be MOTd so the if its being sold as ready for the road the importer should have fitted one.

Personaly I much prefer one fitted flush in the bumper rather than dangling underneath where it will get hit off.

It's also possible to modify the off side reversing light to make a rear fog, there was a thread on here recently about just that.

Regarding warranty the dealer has to give 3 months and since you live some distance from Topsham it may be worth saving your money to 'Self insure', ie put it aside to pay towards any work needed in the 9 month period.
Bongobabe
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongobabe » Thu May 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Bob,
Many thanks for your help/advice.

From viewing the details it’s been recently MOT’d, however it doesn’t appear to have any additional light added underneath so maybe as you say the off side reversing light has been modified?

Re your ‘self insure’ suggestion, I did think of this initially but came to the conclusion that knowing my luck any problems that may occur could be beyond any savings I may be able to accumulate. (I'll have to stop reading the scary stuff on here about sickly bongos and the cost to fix them!!).
Therefore i think i'll opt for paying a bit extra, for peace of mind and hope for the best!

Many thanks again! Bound to be back with many more dilemmas & questions once Basil and i become more acquainted, ha! ;) xx

Return to “Bongo Chat”