LED interior lights. Less is more

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Tony x
Tribal Elder

LED interior lights. Less is more

Post by Tony x » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Peace at last... Having gone to town and replaced all the interior lights (except the fluorescent tube) with super bright LEDS a while back, the cab lights being especially bright (with aluminium sticky tape reflectors and having to file the LED lights down to fit) the Bongo resembled some thing to akin to a dental surgery.
I've just now replaced them with Osram warm white LEDs and,whilst not as well lit, the atmosphere is so much more soothing.
I'm not sure what I might do with the flouro' tube. I don't want to lose any brightness here. Maybe I'll replace the reflector (what there is of it) with gold foil to get a warmer look but, for now, all is good.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: LED interior lights. Less is more

Post by g8dhe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 am

LED's don't really use the reflectors! Especially for the main fluorscent tube see my attempts here;
http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/repla ... cent_tube/
You end up with the actual light level much the same but it appears darker as the roof is not lit as the LED's beam downwards more.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:27 pm

I've been saying the same regarding colour temperature when asked. Warm white is so much nicer for accommodation lighting.

I've got some warm white strips and some lovely inset aluminium channel with diffuser I'm going to set into the head lining in the rear all round. I'm hopeful this will be very slightly brighter than needed because I also have a cool touch dimmer to go in, it's much better with lighting to have too much you can use selectively or turn down, it's the principle I use when planning house lighting and I'm doing similar when planning the Bongo.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:45 pm

I've still got to get lighting sorted in mine. I'm too easily confused by lighting :shock:

Good tip on getting warmer white rather than the stereotypical bright white.
Corranga
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Corranga » Thu May 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Oh dear, I shouldn't read threads like this.

Warm white LEDs ordered!
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Fri May 05, 2017 9:27 am

I must be totally lazy coz I've just bought me some battery operated fairy lights for mood lighting saving me a lot of effort! :lol:
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:44 am

g8dhe wrote:LED's don't really use the reflectors! Especially for the main fluorscent tube see my attempts here;
http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/repla ... cent_tube/
You end up with the actual light level much the same but it appears darker as the roof is not lit as the LED's beam downwards more.
I have tried to reflect some downwards light upwards and outwards by placing a corner strip covered in cooking foil on the plastic diffuser. Possibly a smaller angle than 90 deg would be better, achievable using aluminium angle strip instead and squashing it, but I'm happy enough with the results not to bother. 1m of the angle strip is a couple of quid from B&Q.

I got all ideas about wiring and fitting the LED panel from Geoff's instructions but as my light is the straight tube version it wasn't exactly the same as with the U-tube fitting, pic shows my wiring. Also in the top right of the pic below there is a component screwed to a flat heatsink. Its screw has to be removed to allow the LED panel to lie flat. Also if you keep the metal reflector on the tube side there is a bump which needs to be flattened.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Bongo Chat”