Easter jobs complete

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

sotal
Supreme Being

Easter jobs complete

Post by sotal » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Gutted that I haven't been able to go away camping in the Bongo during the Easter holidays as the weather has been good.

However I've made good use of the time to get some bits and bobs done in between days out with the family. I've managed to do the following...

Replaced wishbone (20 minute job :roll: :lol: )
Rubbed down, treated and painted 3 patches of rust.
Removed the broken fog light from under the bumper (found 2 other brackets from previous lights! Only been in the country since 2013!)
Fitted a red (or pink) bulb into the off side reversing light hole to give a fog light.
Dyed the carpets in the front black.
Fitted 2 USB power sockets into a switch blank in the dash.
Rubbed down the roof bars and treated with rust treatment - ready for painting.
Took it for tracking.
Thoroughly cleaned the AFT and aired for 3 days.
Fixed a broken vacuum pipe and replaced the one-way check valve.
Took out all the glow plugs to test them (and then put them back)
Removed spare wheel to practise removing it as I'd never done it before - whilst it was off treated some rust on the rear cross member - looks like it may need some welding before long :(
Checked round as much as I could ready for the MOT (not until June but trying to be on top of anything)

Quite happy with the amount done and relatively happy with the state it is in. Just the following to keep it looking good:

Rust bubbles forming on the nearside half way along just above the side skirt :( (I suspect this one is out of my skill range to do well)
A few small rust marks (tiny pinholes) appearing which need sorting before they get bigger :(
Rust on the inside lower edge of the tailgate which needs sorting - I rubbed this down once, treated and painted but it came back :(

Next project to do:

We currently have a material and metal pole shelving unit in the boot (or what's left of the boot - the back seats are only a foot away from the boot!) - this shelving unit is falling apart - I want to make something that perfectly fits the slope of the back seats to give the maximum amount of storage in the boot.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Re: Easter jobs complete

Post by the1andonly » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:26 pm

Since and during our easter trip out I've done a few simple jobs
bought new leisure battery on good friday ( voltage OK but can it run the fridge overnight) test everything before first use
fixed 2 shower pumps (yes primary and spare that worked holding it on (as above)
set front cigar to work off SB. was No LB no !2v (5 LB 20A sockets in back)
Had a 12V cigar next to SB why? but happy
difficulty adding new awning.

Morale of this one
it was a shake down but we normally do it 15 miles away not 3 hrs
check it works beforehand
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:01 am

the1andonly wrote:Since and during our easter trip out I've done a few simple jobs
bought new leisure battery on good friday ( voltage OK but can it run the fridge overnight) test everything before first use
fixed 2 shower pumps (yes primary and spare that worked holding it on (as above)

Morale of this one
Could the ciggy next to the SB be a connection point for a dash mounted solar top up gizmo I wonder?
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:07 am

sotal wrote:Gutted that I haven't been able to go away camping in the Bongo during the Easter holidays as the weather has been good.

However I've made good use of the time to get some bits and bobs done in between days out with the family. I've managed to do the following...

Replaced wishbone (20 minute job :roll: :lol: )
Rubbed down, treated and painted 3 patches of rust.
Removed the broken fog light from under the bumper (found 2 other brackets from previous lights! Only been in the country since 2013!)
Fitted a red (or pink) bulb into the off side reversing light hole to give a fog light.
Dyed the carpets in the front black.
Fitted 2 USB power sockets into a switch blank in the dash.
Rubbed down the roof bars and treated with rust treatment - ready for painting.
Took it for tracking.
Thoroughly cleaned the AFT and aired for 3 days.
Fixed a broken vacuum pipe and replaced the one-way check valve.
Took out all the glow plugs to test them (and then put them back)
Removed spare wheel to practise removing it as I'd never done it before - whilst it was off treated some rust on the rear cross member - looks like it may need some welding before long :(
Checked round as much as I could ready for the MOT (not until June but trying to be on top of anything)

Quite happy with the amount done and relatively happy with the state it is in. Just the following to keep it looking good:

Rust bubbles forming on the nearside half way along just above the side skirt :( (I suspect this one is out of my skill range to do well)
A few small rust marks (tiny pinholes) appearing which need sorting before they get bigger :(
Rust on the inside lower edge of the tailgate which needs sorting - I rubbed this down once, treated and painted but it came back :(

Next project to do:

We currently have a material and metal pole shelving unit in the boot (or what's left of the boot - the back seats are only a foot away from the boot!) - this shelving unit is falling apart - I want to make something that perfectly fits the slope of the back seats to give the maximum amount of storage in the boot.
A busy bunny!
I am currently languishing in the back of the Aero at Detling antique fair with a cup of coffee the fan heater full on at 2Kw toasty and good WiFi too. Next up eggs and bacon and a fried slice covered with beans. Yum Yum.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Bongolia wrote:
the1andonly wrote:Since and during our easter trip out I've done a few simple jobs

Morale of this one
Could the ciggy next to the SB be a connection point for a dash mounted solar top up gizmo I wonder?
No I put there months ago for an arduino based project that hasn't moved much from concept.

Return to “Bongo Chat”