Algys Autos

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

swinney100
Apprentice Bongonaut

Algys Autos

Post by swinney100 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any personal experience with Algys Autos?

I am a first time buyer and they seem to offer great looking Bongos for good prices. I understand the risk with using an importer but would like to know what condition the vehicles were in. My understanding is that they won't have a service history with them as they are new imports.

Do Algys do any checks on the vehicles before they sell them?

They come with an MOT, is this enough of an indication that the vehicle is in good condition?

Thanks

Chris
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Algys Autos

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi Chris. :D

I've not bought through Algys's but experiences on here range from 'Very pleased' to 'As bad as it gets'.

No, an MOT is no indication that a vehicle is in good condition, just that it passed a safety check on the day.

Algy's basically buy at auction and its yours, good, bad or middleing. If you go this route do it with your eyes open and make certain you know what is include and what is not.

They're based in Cyprus so you have no hope of legal come back.
swinney100
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by swinney100 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks for the advice Bob.

As a first time buyer I'm just trying to build up as much knowledge as possible before I take the plunge.

The more research I do it seems buying private is going to be my best option. My budget is £6K and to get an AFT with that, going the trade route it is going to be an old vehicle with lots of mileage. Hence why I was thinking Algys as they seem so cheap, but problems normally come with that.

Cheers
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:58 am

swinney100 wrote:Thanks for the advice Bob.

As a first time buyer I'm just trying to build up as much knowledge as possible before I take the plunge.

The more research I do it seems buying private is going to be my best option. My budget is £6K and to get an AFT with that, going the trade route it is going to be an old vehicle with lots of mileage. Hence why I was thinking Algys as they seem so cheap, but problems normally come with that.

Cheers
Even with private, be thorough in your research and inspection. With any Bongo that's been in the UK a while, knowing where to check for corrosion is important, as well as the mechanical and electrical stuff. I always think it's good to have £1k at least in reserve to allow for faults you may not spot but that then need sorting. Welcome and good luck. 8)
WestyK
Bongolier

Post by WestyK » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:21 am

Hi

Best advice I can give other that all of the above is check its MOT history.
As long as you have the reg number you can do this at. www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

When I was looking for mine the bodywork condition was the main thing as I can do a lot of the mechanical things myself but didn't want to have to do any welding as that gets expensive.
The amount I found on ebay that looked good but then when you checked the history had long lists of advisory or history of corrosion was shocking.

I am sure there are some that have been repaired very well and will be fine but you can get a good feel for if they have just been patched up to get through MOT's each year.
Its also good for checking milages. Though not foolproof.

Good luck
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:00 pm

WestyK wrote:Hi

Best advice I can give other that all of the above is check its MOT history.
As long as you have the reg number you can do this at. http://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

When I was looking for mine the bodywork condition was the main thing as I can do a lot of the mechanical things myself but didn't want to have to do any welding as that gets expensive.
The amount I found on ebay that looked good but then when you checked the history had long lists of advisory or history of corrosion was shocking.

I am sure there are some that have been repaired very well and will be fine but you can get a good feel for if they have just been patched up to get through MOT's each year.
Its also good for checking milages. Though not foolproof.

Good luck
Good Advice and if they wont give you the reg then walk away.
The DVSA sometimes get things right and the MOT history , agreed its not foolproof :(, is one of them.

Return to “Bongo Chat”