Newbie considering a Bongo - Need further advice!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Tarrman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Newbie considering a Bongo - Need further advice!

Post by Tarrman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:52 pm

Evening all!

So our family of 6 is about to be extended by the expected arrival of twins! Meaning our current 7 seater is going to be too small hence the need for an 8 seater. I've looked at van based mpvs but they're just that, a bit van-ish and not exactly full of creature comforts. Also looked at the Toyota Previas but not so keen on the looks and then I stumbled upon the Bongo! Seats 8 with great versatility and plenty room for luggage. I've read the buying guides on here and they seem solid/reliable enough. Ive got a budget of £3000 maybe a smudge more. I've just got a couple of questions.

Firstly, can you get 3 car seats abreast on the rear benches?

Should I be bothered about high mileage?

I've seen a couple in my price range, both with the 2.5TDi engine, one 4wd tin top the other 2wd pop top. Both have high mileage, one with 160k the other with 180k. However one has had an 'engine rebuild' and is from a dealer and the other has had extensive engine work (new cyl head, cambelt, service, discs, pads etc) but a private sale. How long do they generally last? I need something to last me a good few years and I think it could become a great family car. However I don't want to spend my budget on something which is going to be knackered in 20,000 miles.

Thanks

A hopefully to be Bongo owner

Alun
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie considering a Bongo - Need further advice!

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Welcome aboard. :D

Bear in mind the odometer will most likely be showing kms, not miles, so 160,000 is actualy only 100,000 miles.

Not much at all for a 2.5 diesel.

Not sure about the childs' seats, sorry.

Do you know who did the re-build work? Is there any warranty with it? Coolant loss and overheating causing the head to crack is one of the main things to be wary of with a Bongo.

Sometimes new parts are fitted and the underlying cause hasn't been addressed, but done proprely these could last for many years.
Tarrman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tarrman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi!

No sorry I don't know who's done the work or if there's any receipts, I haven't enquired that far yet.

The dealer one is an hour away and the private is 2 hours away from me. I shall enquire further... :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Don't appologise, just a pointer for more info. 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:00 am

Welcome. Does it have to be a Bongo? Currently on Autotrader there are 6 smart looking Nissan Elgrands going for under £3k, three with mileages under 100k. I believe they're a pretty solid car. With all these types, you need to consider fuel costs as their mpg isn't stunning, especially in stop/start traffic or on short cold engine runs.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 am

both benches are lap belts to the centre seats
Tarrman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tarrman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi thanks for the replies!

I've just done a search on autotrader and there's an elgrand quite local to me for £3k, looks really nice too but is a private sale. I've done a fair bit of research with the Bongos so know my way around one and what to look out for but the Elgrand is new to me.

Fuel consumption isn't much of an issue as I won't be doing many miles, mainly just local runs and the odd holiday if we're lucky :D

I don't think lap belts are too much of an issue as I'm sure our car seats can be fitted using one. The eldest two kids will definitely need a 3 point for their booster seats.

Was all geared up to go view a Bongo tomorrow which is an hours drive but now this Elgrand has threw me a curve ball #-o
Tarrman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tarrman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Saying that after a quick bit of research on the Diesel engines they seem to suffer common failures, quite catastrophic in some cases. Only from what I've read on a couple of pages but enough to put me off. Now I know the Bongo can suffer too but that's more due to poor serving than design. Think I'll go look at the Bongo.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:32 pm

Tarrman wrote:Saying that after a quick bit of research on the Diesel engines they seem to suffer common failures, quite catastrophic in some cases. Only from what I've read on a couple of pages but enough to put me off. Now I know the Bongo can suffer too but that's more due to poor serving than design. Think I'll go look at the Bongo.
Cool. At least you're eyes wide open to alternatives. I'd be tempted to check out the Elgrand regardless just out of curiosity - fun and you can never do too much research. You could even express your concern over reports of diesel engine failures and see how they react ("It's hard - i love your Elgrand but have a Bongo to see also. By the way, I was researching Elgrands on the web and there seemed to be an issue with diesel engine failures. Is that something i should be concerned about?").

I love Bongos though, things like electric blinds (V useful), electric lifting roof, mid engine that keeps interior warm for a few hours after stopping (great for day outings in winter), and the great community that has grown up around them, service, spares and repair network likewise.

Have fun. 8)
Tarrman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tarrman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:33 pm

I was looking at Toyota Collorados, big 4x4 things but I was quite looking forward to the vast array of seating arrangements and ease of access in the Bongos. Wife thinks I've gone mad I think but going to look at one in the morning and see what's what. Think it's a 98 model, tin top 4x4. Dont really need the 4x4 and I imagine they're a bit heavier on fuel/tyres but it's not for commuting so shouldn't be an issue. Out of curiosity what's the tax costs on these things?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Tarrman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tarrman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:50 am

Doh! Should of realised the old tax costs #-o
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:23 am

I love Land Cruisers of that vintage but they're definitely not a camper van :-(
Tarrman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tarrman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 am

After more of a people carrier for our family of 8 :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:30 am

It might be worth looking at something like a Transit mini bus.

Loads of them, parts easily had, decent drive, loads of room...

Not the character of a Bongo, of course, but very spacious.

Return to “Bongo Chat”