Engine running temperatures

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Katka
Bongolier

Engine running temperatures

Post by Katka » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:13 pm

I recently added Haydn's TM4 twin sensor to my petrol V6 and find the temp is around 78 -82 degrees on each bank. That's with an ambient temperature of 15 degrees and easy flat'ish going. Is this in line with others' experience? We have LPG which I think makes the engine a bit hotter than petrol.
We're planning a big trip later in the year when temps may be >30 and it's hilly, so I want to ensure that the cooling system is up to the job or have time to tinker, if an upgraded fan or rad may be needed.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Engine running temperatures

Post by Bongolia » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I would said that is pretty much right in the driving situation you describe, maybe a little on the cool side which is the better side to be on. :)
If remember correctly the coolant temp (water) remains very much the same ,a couple of degrees higher and not normally noticeable OE temp gauge, but head temps are higher on LPG, so I suppose its where you have the sensors fitted.
I am sure Haydn will be along to help on that.
Good luck on the trip being nosy but where are you going?
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for the info. As you say cooler is good! It was a run up the A3 to Battersea yesterday for the LPG to have its 1000 mile tweak that got me wondering what's normal engine temp.
I assume all Bongo's are the same, but it seems odd that the engine rad is behind the a/c rad. It has protection but the airflow must reduce somewhat. It occurred to me to sacrifice the a/c to have max airflow, maybe two fans. I don't want to spend too much, but I want engine probs much less.

The plan is to dawdle through Germany, Czech and Slovakia, but the target is the Carpathian mountains and Transylvania in Romania. These might tempt you if you like mountains... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=carpa ... 26&bih=958 You might also remember Top Gear's Transfagarian Pass episode.

We're allowing a month, maybe a little longer, there and back. That part of the world get seriously hot in the summer, so it's a late Aug departure all being well.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:33 pm

The Air con. radiator is in front as it needs to be cooler than the coolant radiator! I thing you might find that Mazda allowed for the slightly increased temperature coming off the air con. radiator in the design given the massive temperature range the vehicle was designed to operate over covering the Southern tip of Japan (+30°C) to the Northern tip (-40°C)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:08 pm

It all sounds good to me.....
Don't get obsessed with temps....the V6 is a great engine and the temps quoted are good.....
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Katka wrote:Thanks for the info. As you say cooler is good! It was a run up the A3 to Battersea yesterday for the LPG to have its 1000 mile tweak that got me wondering what's normal engine temp.
I assume all Bongo's are the same, but it seems odd that the engine rad is behind the a/c rad. It has protection but the airflow must reduce somewhat. It occurred to me to sacrifice the a/c to have max airflow, maybe two fans. I don't want to spend too much, but I want engine probs much less.

The plan is to dawdle through Germany, Czech and Slovakia, but the target is the Carpathian mountains and Transylvania in Romania. These might tempt you if you like mountains... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=carpa ... 26&bih=958 You might also remember Top Gear's Transfagarian Pass episode.

We're allowing a month, maybe a little longer, there and back. That part of the world get seriously hot in the summer, so it's a late Aug departure all being well.
Glad your engine temp is ready to go. Sounds a great trip. Been over many passes comfortably in our V6 but the most challenging was this one on the way to Turkey but Austria may be out the way. https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/index
Have a great time and take lots of garlic and a few crosses.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Glenda wrote:
Katka wrote:Thanks for the info. As you say cooler is good! It was a run up the A3 to Battersea yesterday for the LPG to have its 1000 mile tweak that got me wondering what's normal engine temp.

Glad your engine temp is ready to go. Sounds a great trip. Been over many passes comfortably in our V6 but the most challenging was this one on the way to Turkey but Austria may be out the way. https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/index
Have a great time and take lots of garlic and a few crosses.
And a steak or two.
Sounds a great trip. Keep us posted of your progress!

Return to “Bongo Chat”