Time to Say Goodbye

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

notlob
Bongolier

Time to Say Goodbye

Post by notlob » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi All,

Not been on here much for the past year or so due to family stuff and also the purchase of an old Land Rover (1960 Series 2) which has taken up much of my time.

However, the MOT fail sheet for the Bongo a couple of weeks ago revealed a terminal rust problem which I decided was not worth dealing with to end up with a vehicle worth approx £2.5k and also to then be worrying about further future rust problems, rusty water pipes, etc, etc.

So the Bongo has gone to that great Bongo parking ground in the sky to be replaced by a very nice Toyota Regius from Wheelquick in Wigan. The guys at Wheelquick have always seen me right and I think I got a good deal with them taking the Bongo at a decent part ex price against the Regius.

The Regius is a new import on a 99 plate, fully undersealed, etc with an LPG conversion, so should be good MPG and hopefully last many years.

So just a quick word to thank all those on the forum who have offered support over the years and to those I have met at various meet ups. In particular all those who have attended the Allithwaite meets and made us all so welcome including Pixie and the Moon for organising, Mike for the trailer (still going strong!) and Bongoplod - so glad to hear you are on the mend.

Have to stop waving at Bongos now - so sad!

Cheers
Dave and Family
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Time to Say Goodbye

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:43 pm

I have had my Alphard for two years but still like to come / contribute to Bongo sites ...

I like to think .. life is about giving ... as well as taking ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
notlob
Bongolier

Post by notlob » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Good point Mike, I'm sure I'll keep an eye on things here and chip in every now and again.

Cheers
Dave
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:02 am

Once a Bongolier always a Bongolier Dave. Keep in touch and don't be a stranger. I've admired the Regius myself - should prove to be a great purchse i think even if it lacks one or two handy Bongo gimmicks (i think electric blinds are my current can't live without item ha ha). Glad the trailer is still giving good service - so pleased it found a loving home and new lease of life.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:04 pm

As the guys have said, do stay around, and a Regius will be welcome at any Meets, nice motor.

Keep well, and very best for the future. :D
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:49 am

To me the Regius and Alphards always feel like Bongo cousins whenever I see them (they are kind of in the same boat), they're a good choice for ex Bongo owners.

I personally would love to have a nosey inside one! I say stick around and show us yer insides :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Yan wrote:To me the Regius and Alphards always feel like Bongo cousins whenever I see them (they are kind of in the same boat), they're a good choice for ex Bongo owners.

I personally would love to have a nosey inside one! I say stick around and show us yer insides :)
Yes, if only they had electric lifting roofs, electric blinds, storage radiator amidships, simple but versatile seating for using them as a van, and the same spectacular community following.... they might rival the Bongo in appeal. But, i do like them and bet they're great to drive.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:43 am

I checked them all out before buying my bongo and found the elgrand to be the best to drive and was cheaper than the alphrad, unfortunately they are all tin tops and at the time conversion costs were quite a bit more expensive than the bongo, the elgrand I tested had the Nissan 350z engine with lpg conversion, went like stink, super smooth, and more spacious than the bongo, basically it was down to cost and also bongos were in abundance and more popular at the time. Never regretted buying my bongo, only selling it.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:18 am

Good luck Dave, I too am moving on as we rarely use Bertie son he has to go
notlob
Bongolier

Post by notlob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:10 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Yes, if only they had electric lifting roofs, electric blinds, storage radiator amidships, simple but versatile seating for using them as a van, and the same spectacular community following.... they might rival the Bongo in appeal. But, i do like them and bet they're great to drive.
I'd agree with all the comments above but particularly with Mikes.

However, whilst we used to use the up top sleeping in the first couple of years after we got the van, as the kids have got older then we have used it less and less with me and the boy preferring to sleep in the tent with Mum and the girl downstairs in the van, so no need for the lifting roof.

Seating is slightly less versatile in the Regius and I will miss the fold away rear seats

As for the Community you are spot on. There is a Regius forum but I think the last post to it was end of Jan and I registered to join a couple of weeks ago and am still waiting the application being approved!

The unconverted Bongo was the ideal for me with good comfy seating, easy to use as a van and good for the occasional sleepover. I had thought of selling a few months ago and getting a large estate but nothing seemed to tick all the boxes. In the end my hand was forced by the MOT fail and the Regius was in the right place at the right time. The 2.7ltr petrol with LPG is the ideal mix of performance and economy. Now just need to sort some curtains and roofbars for a bit of extra storage.

I will be hanging around though and hope to meet up at a future meet.

Dave

PS Sorry to hear you are leaving the fold too Winchman. Good luck with whatever you get instead.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:35 pm

winchman wrote:Good luck Dave, I too am moving on as we rarely use Bertie son he has to go

As always, good luck for the future, and do stay around here. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Stick around Dave - you'll always be one of the Bongo dudes. And the Regius will be a great drive and hopefully bullet proof. Nice looking, comfy and good finish also - i greatly admire one me and Trish pass regularly when dog walking. Adrian the Bongo mechanic says Toyotas are better built than Bongos rust-wise (wash his mouth out with soap ha ha). I too also sleep downstairs these days.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Good luck Dave,stay in touch
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:43 pm

Bongoplod wrote:Good luck Dave,stay in touch
Nice to see you have regained enough strength to tickle those keyboard ivories again Brian.
Hope you are fairing well.
Long road take it steadily. :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:45 am

Bongolia wrote:
Bongoplod wrote:Good luck Dave,stay in touch
Nice to see you have regained enough strength to tickle those keyboard ivories again Brian.
Hope you are fairing well.
Long road take it steadily. :wink:
2nd that. Great to see you on here Brian.

Return to “Bongo Chat”