Another newbie..

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

mrpadders
Apprentice Bongonaut

Another newbie..

Post by mrpadders » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Hello folks!
I have just hopped over from my regular haunt (Volkzone /VZi) http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/

I have had 3 x 1970s VW vans in the past But I am currently researching the Bongo, as we miss the family days out with a camper but not the issues that come with classic vehicle restoration & ownership. I have just finished tarting up a '71 Beetle but just don't use it.

I'm sure I'll think of many questions but do let me know if I'm asking any dumb or overdone ones :roll: I can take it, VZi'ers can be savage at times :lol:

All the best,
Andy.
Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Another newbie..

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi Andy

And a very warm welcome to BF. :D

Ask anything you like, its a friendly crowd here, honest and helpful. :D

We'll only be rude once we've got to know you a bit. :lol:

Lots of us might well have VWs but for £££££ and we all have campers for the same outdoors fun. 8)
mrpadders
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mrpadders » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Bob :D

My last VW camper appreciated in value as I improved it but in the end I was frightened to leave it anywhere and we couldn't justify such a large chunk of capital being used only occasionally so when I received a very good offer, it was sold and the cash reabsorbed into the mortgage :cry:

I am keen on the Bongo, I have read quite a bit on them over the years. I understand the limitations as well as the strengths. For the money I really can't see an alternative that isn't seriously old.

I am debating whether to buy a cheaper one as a holiday/days out van, or a newer one as my daily driver. I commute 23 miles each way on a mix of dual-carriageway, A & B roads in all weathers. My friend/colleague has one which is a for hols only and he advises against the "daily driver" option but I'm still curious :?

I will be keen to find out how many owners use them every day. :?:
Andy.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Folk here are quite tolerant even when its obvious you don't know the full story or have drunk to much apple juice.
they are good beasts of burden. I have 4 years of bongo ownership. 37 of Norton, 15 of Suzuki and 20+ of various VAG products. Best advice buy a good un to start with. Best advice buy a good un to start with ( cost of renovation restoration) you already know that.
Others will disagree but its too thirsty for commuting
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:47 pm

mrpadders wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome Bob :D

I will be keen to find out how many owners use them every day. :?:
Andy.
IS it possible to do a poll
how many vehicles are used?
where is bongo on list
mrpadders
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mrpadders » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks for that advice 1andonly, like the idea of a vehicle that does everything \:D/ but as you say the mpg may well be my decider [-X

Poll... now there's a thought...
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:59 pm

Only my view, but vehicles are generaly better for regular use than sitting for ages and just getting the odd run.

Fuel consumption is an issue for a commute, but you pays your money... 8)
mrpadders
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mrpadders » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:05 am

Your right of course and there is depreciation to factor in.
A brand new hatchback + fuel could end up costing more over a few years than a good Bongo + (considerably more) fuel. The Bongo will cost less to buy and depreciate less, so the fuel costs are offset somewhat by the lack of depreciation...at least according to my optimistic figures :lol:
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:15 am

Hi and welcome. I use mine everyday for the school run/shopping/mtb base and weekends for days out. Then it's the holiday bus as well, so it's a real all rounder for me.

I've got a 2ltr with LPG conversion so my fuel bills are less than others so that has to be taken into consideration.

Agree with Bob about running it regularly (but you'll want to anyway as it's a fun drive).

Cheers.
mrpadders
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mrpadders » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:21 am

Many thanks Yan.
All views, pros & cons appreciated. 8)
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 am

As my Bongo is my second car it is used for holidays and festivals. I try to limit usage in the winter to protect from the effects of salted roads. When I retire and lose my company car I will use it daily (looking forward to it!) I get 27 mpg from my 2.0L petrol , so not too bad.
redcastle
Junior Bongonaut

Post by redcastle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 am

Im a newbie here myself and use my bongo as a second vehicle. The only thing I do is take it out regularly if it's only up into the hills for a cup of tea and a dog run. I suppose what I'm saying is I don't like leaving vehicles standing doing nothing better to run them to show them a bit of care, keep the batteries charged up and the oil circulating . Easy for me I'm retired so I have time but I suppose you pays your money.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 am

redcastle wrote:Im a newbie here myself and use my bongo as a second vehicle. The only thing I do is take it out regularly if it's only up into the hills for a cup of tea and a dog run. I suppose what I'm saying is I don't like leaving vehicles standing doing nothing better to run them to show them a bit of care, keep the batteries charged up and the oil circulating . Easy for me I'm retired so I have time but I suppose you pays your money.
Good advice, and noted. I'll be joining you in retirement in a few weeks :-)

I used mine for daily commute for 10 years and its a lovely everyday drive (as long as i don't need multi storey car parks as the AFT is too tall for most). I only did 5 miles each way and lived with the cost but its not good mpg on short runs esp if stop and start - my 2wd diesel can be 19mpg in winter. Also, its a car i only want to take to a Bongo mechanic and that means i can be carless if major work needs doing (welding, roof problem, new head) and thats tricky if you've no second car and/or suitable public transport. Mind you, its easy to do basic servicing work myself (brake pads, oil, filters, droplinks) so it only goes in for more major stuff, and its been very reliable overall and never left me stranded. They're great cars to drive - v comfortable and relaxing especially on the open road, and the diesel has plenty of torque. I'm of an age where i can remember when people (Aussies - from a place in Wraysbury that now offers Bongos - used to buy and return them after landing at Heathrow to do UK and Europe) used to buy VW Type 2 as the best value reliable campervan. The same people would today i think buy a Bongo as the best tool for the job. VW love has got stupid i think and prices reflect that. It may go the same way with Bongos (there are signs already) but meanwhile, provided you're 'eyes wide open' about downside as well as upside, they remain the best compact camper around i think and certainly the MPV most deserving of that title.

Happy hunting if you go for it. My only concern is that an ordinary car may be cheaper/more economical commuting options, with fewer ownership issues, especially as Bongos are ageing. But i'm confident you'll love driving a Bongo and you'll love their usefulness and versatility, and the Bongo community is second to none. 8)
mrpadders
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mrpadders » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 am

Many thanks for all the sound advice folks 8)
Heart says one thing, head says the other.
I think my first step will be to get a good drive in a few at the local dealers.
Dave218
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Dave218 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:18 pm

As a newbie myself, infact so new I've not even got her, I'm planning on using Beryl for my daily commute of 18 miles,most of which is motorway so I'm hoping for a reasonable mpg out of her (2L,, lpg converted) although time will tell,, with the wife's car taking up more family taxi runs
Roll on March 4th and many hours of Bongotasticness

Return to “Bongo Chat”