Another newbie..

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Another newbie..

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:12 pm

mrpadders wrote:Many thanks for all the sound advice folks 8)
Heart says one thing, head says the other.
I think my first step will be to get a good drive in a few at the local dealers.
A Bongo is like a pet. You'll love and it may cause pain and bills but you wouldn't be without it. But 46 miles each way commuting each day is going to cost with a Bongo, that much you can be sure of. Your head will have to be careful not to let your heart rule it unless you can find a workaround plan (I've known people use its live-in ability to do night stopovers at work to reduce daily commute costs though that wouldn't suit everyone!)
mrpadders
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mrpadders » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:35 pm

...More nuggets of wisdom, thank you. Unlike older VWs, the Bongo is not yet a "classic" (no offence anybody), so insurance is more on a par with a modern car and not tax exempt either. Those two points also made me keen on the one vehicle solution, as it would make an expensive to tax/insure 3rd vehicle. (Mrs P has a beloved 1.0 Micra).

These "real world" opinions will help me choose, so please feel free to comment.

Maybe I'll end up with a small commuter car and a nice Bongo for family days out and hols.
Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:39 pm

mrpadders wrote:...More nuggets of wisdom, thank you. Unlike older VWs, the Bongo is not yet a "classic" (no offence anybody), so insurance is more on a par with a modern car and not tax exempt either. Those two points also made me keen on the one vehicle solution, as it would make an expensive to tax/insure 3rd vehicle. (Mrs P has a beloved 1.0 Micra).

These "real world" opinions will help me choose, so please feel free to comment.

Maybe I'll end up with a small commuter car and a nice Bongo for family days out and hols.
The advantage of having the smaller car is (as well as fuel savings) that it allows the Bongo to be off the road for fettling and repairs. If a point comes where its fully fettled you could always opt to start using it as an everyday car and get rid of the small one. This strategy might also allow you to pursue a cheaper Bongo that might need some fettling and investment that needs it to be out of action for periods. Of course, good fettling weather is similar to good camping weather, which may pose a dilemma #-o
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi and welcome
Every day use should not be a problem with a good one
2.5 diesel gets 30mpg average driving ( some have got them upto 40 with economy driving )
Bongo and a small commute car will surely work out more expensive over the year with tax and mot ,insurance and comuter car breakdowns / service
Than running the bongo as a daily driver at 30mpg
And there lovely to drive
It's my only car plus work van
But I don't do a lot of miles in the bongo
I like the daily driver as you notice faults as they start and not on your way to holidays
Good luck
Do it you know you want to :D
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:09 pm

My smaller car is a Suzuki Ignis and being a Japanese built one, not Hungarian, it has the column controls the same (correct for right hand drive) as the Bongo so no inadvertent window cleaning when turning.

I use the Bongo and the car roughly 50/50 as the mood takes me. Not having bought fuel by the gallon for years and only having kilometres on the Bongo, I don't think about miles per gallon. If I'm a bit skint I will use the car more but I save quite a bit by filling up the Bongo at Tesco's cooking oil aisle.

O/H has a Honda Stepwgn (sic). Not as versatile as the Bongo but roomy and quiet 2 litre petrol auto, replacing her much loved Suzuki Carry 1.3 which got nicked last summer. All Japanese handed. My first impressions of the Honda are favourable, especially not clonky suspension unlike the Bongo when lightly loaded.

I shelled out £500 in the autumn to have the Suzuki's gearbox reconditioned but figure that was less than it would have cost me to find a replacement car with possibly unknown defects.

It would certainly be interesting to know what proportion of Bongos are the sole vehicle or part of a deliberate setup with a runabout.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:07 am

Mine is a deliberate ploy as a backup to the other 2 cars (and no winter usage if poss), but at one time i used to run 3 backup bikes to 2 cars, even at one time had 7 bikes so i'm not average.
I don't use a bike to work any more because i ave a power nap in the car, even better in the back of the bongo.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:49 am

We have the 21 year old Bongo and a 25 year old MX5.

Both have proved very reliable but my main transport for work was my bike. Car used when the weather was bad or large items needed moving.

Now retired so no need to drive regularly.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:52 am

mrpadders wrote:...More nuggets of wisdom, thank you. Unlike older VWs, the Bongo is not yet a "classic" (no offence anybody), so insurance is more on a par with a modern car and not tax exempt either. Those two points also made me keen on the one vehicle solution, as it would make an expensive to tax/insure 3rd vehicle. (Mrs P has a beloved 1.0 Micra).

Could you not use a multi car policy? I believe Admiral run something like that or maybe a stated mileage policy?
An advantage of taxing on line is that you can switch off and then on again, this is what I do during the warmer weather,providing you have off street parking of course.
Insurance is something I will have to address soon as currently I run under a motor traders policy so any vehicle basically.
Hopefully Helen will have the Bongo commune set up shortly so these things will all be in the past. :wink: :P
mrpadders
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mrpadders » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:27 am

Bongolia wrote: Could you not use a multi car policy? I believe Admiral run something like that or maybe a stated mileage policy?
An advantage of taxing on line is that you can switch off and then on again, this is what I do during the warmer weather,providing you have off street parking of course.
I
That's an idea, thanks Bongolia I'll have a look into it if I take the plunge. :D
Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
meplus5c
Junior Bongonaut

Post by meplus5c » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:21 am

I've used mine daily since buying it about a month ago and love it. I'm sure it costs me a bit more than our old car did but I try not to think about it as it's so much fun to drive. And I don't think it's significantly more or I wouldn't afford it. Can't wait to go camping without having to pitch 3 tents as I reckon I can get away with sleeping myself and my 4 kids in there.

Return to “Bongo Chat”